Battle of the 1 Ton Dump Trucks Ford v. Chevy, Electric v. PTO, Manual v. Auto

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by BuffaloLandscaping, Feb 2, 2009.

1. BuffaloLandscaping

BuffaloLandscaping LawnSite Member

Hi All Again,

I hate to bother you guys with another truck question but here it is for those who wish to respond. Just learned that I pretty much have to have Commercial insurance so a dump truck is a feasible option for me again. It would have to be a 1 ton & not larger due to zoning in my town & I just don't need larger as I won't be hauling anything all that heavy/ not towing anything heavy. I don't want smaller either as I want a DRW dump truck (SRW dumps just seem odd to me).

As in my last truck post, I have bias towards Ford but will not be plowing with a dump truck as I'd rather get a better deal on a 4x2 (fine 6x4 :)) so the Chevy's IFS may be less of an issue. Again, Dodge is not a consideration nor is a diesel (gasp). ;) I'd like to spend between $4-7K, ideally so I'm throwing-out vehicles that fit that range.

I'd like opinions on the following:

1993-97 Ford F350 4x2 Dump
    1995-99 Chevy C3500 Dump (Chevys seem to be cheaper hence newer range & I hate the pre-95 interiors so the only way I can stomach a Chevy is 95-00)

350/351 v. 454/460

Auto v. Manual

Electric v. PTO

Assume original engines 100 - 125K for the above examples. I'm just looking for pros/cons on each as I think this is a little fairer fight than the plow trucks.

Thanks for the thoughts,

Dave

2. stuvecorp

stuvecorp LawnSite Fanatic

A 450 looks the same as a 350 but with way more capacity, would think that is a better option. I would go with an auto and just get the electric hoist, not like you are hauling like a big truck. Try to save up more and get a newer truck if you can.

3. BuffaloLandscaping

The problem with a 450 is it will be stored in my driveway & is technically not allowed due to zoning restrictions banning over 1 ton vehicles. In my neighborhood there are several 1 ton vehicles in driveways but nothing over 1 ton so I'm not gonna push it. Also, I simply don't need it.

My qualms about electric is the speed, I only have experience with electric & it was definitely slow. I have heard PTO is significantly faster but in the trucks I'm looking at, it seems electric is predominant.

Eventually, I'd love to have a new(er) truck but I need to start small (cheap) & work my way there. Thanks for the reply.

Dave

4. stuvecorp

stuvecorp LawnSite Fanatic

My 450 has electric telescopic hoist and seems faster than the 350 with a electric scissor hoist. I have used the 450 on sites as a haul truck but for the most part it wasn't that bad. I don't like those rules with 'work' trucks in developments.

5. BuffaloLandscaping

Thanks for the input on the electric hoist. The rules apply to the entire town, not just developments. The neighborhood I grew up it was really bad with the only guy having a work truck hiding it behind a fence because he thought people would say something. My current neighborhood is very blue collar so people would never say anything but I don't want to draw any unneeded attention to myself. ;)

6. Swampy

Swampy LawnSite Bronze Member

Personally look a old FSuperDuty, commonly a 4x2 in a 5spd, for that time frame which is basically a F350 on roids really and a PTO scissors will out power a electric dump in those commonly in those years. But I believe they are only availble in the 7.3L Diesels, Gravel Rat will probably correct me but a FSuperDuty was only about 1,000lbs heavier for those years as well, just compare it to todays standards.

7. BuffaloLandscaping

OK, OK. You've convinced me to look at an F-Super Duty after my initial resistance. :hammerhead:

'93 - '97 F- Super Dutys were all 4x2 & either a 460 or 7.3. I also believe they weren't that much heavier but I do wonder about insurance because they are over 1 ton. Anyone know how that affects insurance??

Thanks,

Dave

8. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

The commercial insurance is decently cheap. It shouldnt be much more to insure a superduty over a 350.

Some of the older C3500's had a 15000 GVW so I would look at one of them too!

9. BuffaloLandscaping

Thanks for the info on insurance. I know the truck you speak of the C3500 HD, which to me is a weird truck in that it is considerably less popular (as is the 454 in general & a 6.5 diesel I would never consider, ever) than the F-Super Duty & the execution is a little off as well. The filler panel between the bumper & grill always seemed like hackery to me but again, I'm somewhat biased. :):rolleyes:

Thanks for the suggestion though.

Dave

10. Albery's Lawn & Tractor

Albery's Lawn & Tractor LawnSite Bronze Member

I think if your gonna stay in that budget range to just take what you can get. Superduty are great trucks for what they are.