Battle of the 3/4 Ton Plow Trucks Ford v. Chevy (not the age old question though)

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by BuffaloLandscaping, Jan 31, 2009.

1. BuffaloLandscaping

BuffaloLandscaping LawnSite Member

Hi All,

I hope to be entering the Landscaping world this Spring & will need a truck. I have always owned Ford but have driven a number of Chevys as well. I have plowed with Ford & Toyota. Dodge is not a consideration for me for various reasons :nono:. The questions is Ford v. Chevy but in an intelligent way (not the usual crap).

I'm looking at (same price):
    1997 Ford F-250 Heavy Duty 4x4, 351/Auto, Fisher Plow ~100k
    1998 Chevy K2500, 350/Auto, Fisher Plow ~ 90K

Having driven both, I know there are things I like about each but I'd like to hear from people who earn their living with these things. I'd like to preferably hear from people that have run both to eliminate bias.

I'm most interested in reliability & lowest cost to own over a 5 year time-frame. I won't be working these things to death or plowing commercially but I don't want to buy a money pit either as I know trucks can be.

What my perceptions are in terms of quality/durability (I'm interested to see how close I am):

Better engine: Draw
    Better trans: Chevy by about 8 miles
    Better suspension: Ford
    Better 4x4 system: Not sure
    Better body: Ford by a mile
    Better interior: Ford
    Better electrical: Ford
    Better reliability: Draw, Ford has tranny issues, GM has fuel delivery ones
    Better driving experience: Chevy by 5 miles
    Better resale: Ford

Yes, in my mind it appears Ford would win but I'm still open-minded to those that have worked both.

2. Midstate Lawncare

Midstate Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Ford out of those two....
    Best all time? 2002-2004 chevy/gmc 2500 6.0 liter gas with a western 8'. You can do things in those trucks that aern't supposed to happen. lol... unless the boss is around lol.
  3. South Florida Lawns

South Florida Lawns LawnSite Platinum Member
    from usa

looks like you pretty much narrowed it down to Ford by your self. I think with that solid axle on the front of the 250 is more stout for slamming some snow, then the IFS on the chevy.
  4. King Cuts Landscaping

King Cuts Landscaping LawnSite Member

We had 97 HD F250 351 4x4 with Meyers plow set up and salt spreader, great truck bought it in 99 off an older man and was pretty much my first truck for my company. However it ate up ball joints and over the years little things would go wrong, exhaust manifold, Trans wiring issue where it wouldn’t down shift into 1st gear, front gas tank had problems. Over all great truck, lots of power and great looking body style. We maintained it regularly just when our employees started take in it as it got older these “little things would go wrong”. We replaced it two years ago with a new 2007 Chevy HD 2500 6.0 with Meyers mm plow set up. I love the Chevy but then again it’s still new! I know this probably doesn’t help you decision but personally I would go with the ford in this case. Our ford went 258,xxx miles same motor and trans. 351 auto

good luck in 09,
  5. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

You start plowing alot with a chevy your going to be doing lots of front end work. The IFS doesn't do too well under lots of front end weight. The Ford with Twin Traction beam probably isn't any better you definatly need a Dana 60 front axle
  6. hosejockey2002

hosejockey2002 LawnSite Bronze Member

Concerning 10-12 year old trucks with close to 100K on them, you can't answer your question as far as lower cost and reliability. Those will be a function of the condition of the truck and how well it was maintained. Since both trucks were used for plowing, they are likely to be beat to hell.
  7. TXNSLighting

TXNSLighting LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

no straight axle on square body 250's, only 350's.
  8. BuffaloLandscaping

Thanks for the reply. :)

9. BuffaloLandscaping

I do have a little bias but I am open-minded (save for Dodge). I have heard that the Fords are better for snow removal as well but I do still see a lot of Chevys as well...
  10. BuffaloLandscaping

A Ford @ 258K w/ original tranny? I almost don't believe it. :confused:

Thanks for the reply.