Battle of the stand-on's

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by DCE, Feb 9, 2008.

1. DCE

DCE LawnSite Senior Member

I've finally had a couple opportunities to check out a couple specimens from the leading brands of stand-on riders - Wright and Great Dane. The differences between the two are very apparent in both appearance and maneuverability. I had a Wright Stander RH 48" over here for a while on loan from the distributor and yesterday, I stopped by Carswell Distributing to see the Dane Surfer and Super Surfer.

With Wright, you are standing at the centerline of the rear wheels, which is also the center of the zero turn radius. You also have the mass of the machine - engine and hydro pumps - centralized along with the added weight of the operator. Wright uses the term "low polar moment" to describe the effect this arrangement has. Meaning, it takes less inertia to start and stop turns. The mower turns quickly, handles quickly, without jerking the operator around. The Stander RH also has a compact footprint, no bigger than a midsize walkbehind. Movements are fluid, and you don't feel any jerking as you maneuver the mower across the landscape and around obstacles.

On the Great Dane Super Surfer [48" / 18HP combination], you can tell immediately, the stance is wider and the wheelbase is longer. The operator platform you stand on is mounted forward of the centerline of the rear wheels, which contributes to the extended length. And no doubt, these differences are due to the Wright patents. On the Super Surfer, you can feel the turns more. I found out there is a more jerky action in the handling. And for some reason, when pulling back on the levers to rever then letting up slowly towards the neutral position, when the SS stops, it STOPS :dizzy: Very jerky no matter how slowly I tried to let the levers return to neutral. Actually, I got to try out two identical SS's, first one they brought out, something wasn't quite right with the hydro's. It didn't have any "pep" to it. Second one they brought out had more pep and response, but both were jerky when going from reverse to neutral. The suspended platform is pretty neat, as you traverse rough ground you can feel it give a bit for a smooth ride. Honestly, I wasn't too impressed with the way the Super Surfer drove. It's more jerky than the Wright. Just IMO, after having spent some time with both machines.

Wright Stander RH 19HP / 48":
    [​IMG]

Great Dane Super Surfer 18HP / 48":

[​IMG]

2. mowman84

mowman84 LawnSite Member

I have a 48 Wright Stander and like everything about it and had no problems. To what I hear though the fixed deck is better than the rapid hieght. It has bigger tires, better center of gravity and doesnt scalp as bad.

3. tb8100

tb8100 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from TX

The Standers are the coolest machines. Took me a little while to get used to them. Did Dane Scag design the Super Surfer? I have a hard time believing he would put his name on something poorly engineered. His Scag brand is a phenomenal line of mowers.

4. tb8100

tb8100 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from TX

Look at the attention to detail on the Wrights, all the way down to the recessed grease zerks on the front casters to protect them from getting broken off. Bill Wright, Jim Velke, and Co. absolutely hit a home run with the Stander though it would be nice to see a suspended platform and what have you.

5. GravelyNut

GravelyNut LawnSite Bronze Member

Did you get a chance to try the SS 52" or the Gravely version of the same?

6. instyle

instyle LawnSite Senior Member
    from Canada

Why does everyone forget about the JD QUIKTRAC?

7. DCE

They did have a 52" SS in the warehouse but it wasn't serviced yet and ready to run. Only the two 48's were ready to go. I also forgot that there was a 36" SS too...they have one in stock but the Carswell rep said it is a lousy handling mower.

8. DCE

Well, couple weeks back I talked with the Deere dealer here that I know and asked if he had any on the lot and he said there is no demand for them so he isn't going to bring anything in that isn't going to sell. He's sold about 12 of them to a local LCO and that's the extent of it. From what I understand, the Quik-Trak is basically the same machine as the Super Surfer except for the transmission [Kanzaki] and deck [7 Iron II]?

9. robertsturf

robertsturf LawnSite Bronze Member

The Quik Trac is identical to the SS. Except for the 2 differences you pointed out. The don't turn as well and don't hold hills as well. We had (1), now we have 2 Wright Standers. For us it is a much better machine.

10. robertsturf

robertsturf LawnSite Bronze Member

Sorry about the mistake in my previous post we have 3 Standers.