Batwing mower question

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by greeninga, Jun 7, 2006.

1. greeninga

greeninga LawnSite Member
    from GA

Just curious on how much more effective batwing mowers are than say

72 inch mowers, I know you would get more done, but how much more on

average would you get done?? Say double???

Thanks

2. green acres lawns

green acres lawns LawnSite Senior Member

In my opinion, a 72" z-turn mowing at 10 mph would be more productive than a 12' batwing behind a tractor at 4-6 mph. I have a tractor and bellymower and I have 4 z-turns. I can tell you from experience that the tractor is much slower. Even if the ground was smooth enough to run the tractor in road gear, the blades don't turn fast enough to cut cleanly at that speed. If you were mowing a Kansas wheatfield with a 15' to 20' cutter, then you would do better with a bat-wing. On parks, schools, athletic fields etc, a 72" z is really hard to beat. A golf course would be a toss up.

3. Tinkerer

Tinkerer LawnSite Senior Member

Some people use them just to mow under trees n shrubs. I'd guess they are more for the homeowner who has to have a tractor and has a large lawn with few trees n stuff to mow around.

4. greeninga

from GA

Sorry Guys I meant like jacobsen, toro, etc. type mowers

not tractors. Thanks

5. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

a batwing if for behind a tractor. we got a 12 foot and its very productive for mowing 120 acres. Not feesible to transport it for lawns

6. Oh! I thought you were talking about pull behind mowers.
    The self propelled are much more productive than 2 times better. Think of it. A 6' mower compared to a 16' mower.
    The bigger mower has bigger tires so you can average more groundspeed. Much fewer overlaps to figure in. They trim nearly the same unless it's really crowded with trees and other stuff. I've cought myself trimming around a post or something and actually backing the mower up to cut one blade of grass that I missed! I'd say the bat wing's 3 times or maybe closer to 4 times as productive. I'm reminded of this whenever the big mower's down and we have to keep up with just two of the 6' Groundsmasters.

I've owned a 15' Howard Price and a 12' Alamo bat wing. The big Toro 580-D is the finest mower I've ever been on.

Dave

7. greeninga

from GA

thanks for the info, thinking of getting a used one

8. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

Check out the 4000 series Hustlers with Range Wings. They ran circles around our Toro 580's.