Baumalite mulchers?

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by J. Peterson Grading, Jun 22, 2008.

1. J. Peterson Grading

J. Peterson Grading LawnSite Senior Member
    from IA

Any of you guys ever heard of these?

We do a bit of land clearing, and since we don't do this as a ful-time service it would be nice to have a lower priced mulcher head.

So I don't want to hear how much this thing sucks, or how I should look at other machines,

I just want to know if anyone has heard of them and if they are worth the price.

J.

2. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

do you have a link you can post? what do they cost?

3. stuvecorp

stuvecorp LawnSite Fanatic

I found this: www.mtbmfg.ca/brushmulcher.html There was some stuff on another forum, was around $9,000. I am surprised at all the different mulcher/grinder attachments, must be a growing need?

4. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

I did not find the mulchers all that impressive. I did like the stump grinder though.

5. YellowDogSVC

YellowDogSVC LawnSite Gold Member
    from TX

i don't like teeth that aren't staggered formation or spiral. Too much hp needed when all the teeth hit at the same time. Better chance of damaging rotor in my opinion.

6. J. Peterson Grading

from IA

Yellowdog.

You are the one I wanted to awnser this question. Like I said, I don't do this as a full time service, But its something that does bring in about 15% of my annual income. Right now I have just a Rhino Brush mower that does a wonderful job of knocking down the heavy overgrowth. But, Once we clear all that crap, we get into large rotten down trees and stumps.

I have a few jobs going right now where one of these units would come in real handy and could be pontentialy be paid off in just a few days worth of work. I was planning on renting one but my local dealer (The only place that would stock one of these for rent) wont get one unless I commit to at least a 2 month rental. Well at somthing like $1500 to $2000 a month I could just own one of these Baumalites.

I know it doesn't look like its something thats built super heeavy like other brands, But for the price and how often it would get used (Like 2 days a month) I think I would work out. Plus the material is all TOTALLY ROTTEN! Its basicly old mulch still shaped like a tree. I realy don't think it would take much to grind it up. Or I could be wrong.

Make any sense?

J.

7. YellowDogSVC

YellowDogSVC LawnSite Gold Member
    from TX

What will you be running it on? I only have experience with the high flow mowers like FAE, Magnum, Landtamer, brown bear, davco etc. Low flow I've used the brushcats and worked with the ammbusher mowers.
    Do you have to have a mulcher or can you use a rotary? I've found the brushcats to do a good job on rotten stumps, brush, and dead brush up to 4" but brushcats won't work great in sandy or soft areas and are a rotary.
    The davco's will chop most anything but don't mulch well and sling material long distances. I like mulchers with trap doors but most mulchers need a high flow skid steer or high pto power tractor.

8. J. Peterson Grading

from IA

Its going on my new PT80. So either a High flow or low flow.

My Rhino is a Mid flow rotary.

I think I need both types, Because we also cut deep grass and tall weeds.

I just like the price on it. For the amount they want, It could sit for 28 days a month and I wouldn't feel so bad about it.