BB AOS 35Hp diesel took delivery, first day

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by nosparkplugs, Oct 21, 2008.

1. nosparkplugs

nosparkplugs LawnSite Gold Member

After running air cooled ZTR's for over 7 years, the step to LC diesel was long overdue, and is worth the cost.

Picked up the BB AOS 35HP diesel 72" deck, Advance Chute, tires, Optional Carlisle Tru-Power tires 26x12. Purchased the BB from Retrodog, and he is buy far the best dealer i have ever dealt with regardless of ZTR brand, went above & beyond to make sure I was satisfied, supplied extra belts & blades free of charge, without asking for them, something I have never experienced.

I purchased this BB with no "mowing Demo", and took so much heat for supporting the BB with only a "parking lot demo" I have never demo any of the ZTR's I have purchased, and minus the Scag Tiger cub I was totally satisfied. This was another excellent choice for me, and its total BS to have to demo a mower, maybe a underpowered mower & large deck requires a demo, but not this BB AOS diesel.

I did some cutting today; however with it so late in the season, their was not enough growth to even slow down the big Cat; however this grass would slow down my old JD F-680 every time no matter the time of year.

I have no experience with other "suspension mowers"; however the BB diesel's EZ-Ride system, and michigan seat made for the most comfortable ride I have ever experienced. I was able to mow this church field in 1 hr, previously it took 3-4 hours. I was done so fast i went looking for more grass to cut, something i was never able to do in years past on the same account.

Cut Quality, All I can say is MANICURED CUT, at 15mph:clapping::clapping: It looked equal to the Walker MT GHS cut with a 72" deck. I had zero windrows, like I had with the Scag Velocity deck, and even without a true mulch kit baffle the sheer brute force/torque of the cat diesel did the job with the Advance Chute blocker alone. I can only image further improvement in cut quality with the mulch baffle, when i comes from the factory.

Climbing hills simply "amazing" the large pump motors & diesel never struggled, and the optional Tru-Power tires must contribute to the mountain goat like ability to climb straight-up hills i previously used a walk-behind on or the JD front mower; which struggled.

Turning the beast: I did not expect the heavy diesel to be so light footed, and within my 3rd turn their was zero turf tearing, the tires did not leave marks either, and could be used on high end accounts with a experienced operator, and attention to detail. For the size, and menising look it's very easy on the turf, I would assume with turf tires' there would be zero tearing, and you could do those "freestyle" fast turns.

PowerPlant: The Liquid cooled 35hp 70/ftlb 4-cylinder Caterpillar diesel, is silky smooth, quite, without the blades engaged, and wide open throttle you need no ear protection very low noise, it's the best sounding diesel I have heard or run period, makes the 3 cylinder Kubota's sound rough. The Cat does require a 5+ second glow plug pre-warm in the morning before she'll start, cannot just turn it over cold. White faced back Lighted analog Temp & oil pressure gauge's very nice touch. The diesel ran at 200 degree's all day did not rise or drop, no matter the grass I cut, the radiator is massive, and the debris screen is large enough to take some debris accumilation, so you can keep mowing longer. Everything about this Engine, and mower is HEAVY DUTY When The diesel gets into thick grass you just see a "puff" of black smoke, and that's it, no drop in rpm or blade tip speed

Over all impression after first day, need more grass to cut this mower is very, very fast, and powerful the 72" & 35hp Cat diesel work well in every situation I was in today, hills, burms, thick bermuda, dry, ditch's, wet ditch's

Sorry Scag owners are in denial this is a far superior machine, in all respects. I also have an extra 3k in my pocket vs the overpriced, underpowered Scag TT 28hp Cat.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 21, 2008
  2. dozerdogue

dozerdogue LawnSite Member
    from CT

Awesome looking machine. If i were in the market for another machine that machine would probably be it CONGRATS!!!:drinkup:

3. MONTE

MONTE LawnSite Senior Member

How much was the BB? I only ask because I am comparing diesels and are down to two machines but would take another look at BB if they have improved some things and I could find a dealer!

4. timber132007

timber132007 LawnSite Member

That is an awesome mower! I love the ag tires. I was thinking about getting some for my mowers. Are the tires four ply?

5. razor1

razor1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Sweet Ride!

What's it weigh?

6. nosparkplugs

8ply tires

7. Razorblades

Razorblades LawnSite Senior Member

Congrats on your new mower. Thats a great looking machine!

8. dozerdogue

dozerdogue LawnSite Member
    from CT

9. nosparkplugs

It will also leave a manicured cut, to complement these bushooging video's, it's truly a well built amazing machine

10. mowerbrad

mowerbrad LawnSite Fanatic

I don't know much about the BB mowers but I do know that CAT makes some really great and powerful engines.