BBB Complaint

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Kelly's Landscaping, Jun 7, 2004.

1. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

I got a letter today informing me they are filing a complaint with the better business burial. It’s my first it was bound to happen someday but I find my self laughing about the reason and hoping people like this don't reproduce.

A month ago my schedule was beyond insane its hardly improved but I am seeing some light at the end of the month. I probably did 175-250 estimates this season thus far this is one of them. We get a call about a lot of planting and mulching and pruning work also they inquired about a lawn cut. So I go to my estimate and I get stood up. That should have been when we dropped this but my partner called and rescheduled. So about a week later I return for another appointment and meet this lady and her husband they have no need of a landscaper. There’s no lawn to cut they do their own there’s no mulch to install they do their own theirs nothing but edging a bed and fixing a lopsided rose of Sharon. Needless to say I am not to pleased to even be wasting my time here. They question me on everything for tips on how to improve their lawn and their beds basically that’s why I was really called for free expert advice.

So I am out 2 hours with both appointments I value my self personally at 50 dollars an hour. I don't charge for estimates but I don't like being jerked around either. The grand total of what they wanted done was under 140 dollars it was a nothing job with one huge draw back only I could do it none of my guys would have a clue what needed to be done here. So I give the estimate to be nice and I am told they will have to think about it. I told them it would be at least 3 weeks they call back and say it’s on so I make a mental note of it. A week later they call and demand a whole new estimate and they want to change things on the original and Bla Blaa Blaa.

I tell my partner the situation and instruct him to drop them too much of a pain in the ass and not worth my time I really didn’t want to do the job at this point. Well that wasn't good enough for them they go all upset that I passed on their bullshit job and cant understand how some one could say no to them. So she has informed me today that I am being reported to the better business burial for of all things NOT WORKING FOR HER. I sort of thought I would have to do a job for someone to get a complaint but here I am getting a complaint for telling someone sorry were no longer interested.

2. Expert Lawns

Expert Lawns LawnSite Silver Member

better business burial? wow, they really don't mess around

3. Trevors Lawn Care

Trevors Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

haha... I think people will laugh if they ever check with the better business "bureau" ......not burial

4. Kelly's Landscaping

Spelling and organization I do not belong to nor refer to I guess is not my strong point.

5. Turf Medic

Turf Medic LawnSite Bronze Member

I wouldn't lose any sleep over this one, kind of hard for them to prove that there was even any agreement to do the work. Usually BBB works with people that feel they have been ripped off after they have paid and have proof that a transaction and shoddy work actually took place.

6. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

Can I hear their side of the story before I pass judgement?

7. Kelly's Landscaping

Their side of the story is simple I backed out and they informed me I could not do that and if I wanted to I should of told them. That is their side the truth is they were informed which she acknowledges in her letter, which is more, then I normally would go through on a bid I did not want. We called them and told them No end of story they have no side in order for them to have a side it would have to be illegal to change your mine when you saw a side of some one you didn't like or trust I went with my gut instinct on this and stand by it.

8. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Have a cold one,have a laugh and move on.
    Some peoples kids.............................
    Your right they shouldn't reproduce.

9. Expert Lawns

Expert Lawns LawnSite Silver Member

there was no work completed, therefore there is no contract. you can have a verbal contract that is binding, but you need three things: an offer, acceptance, and consideration. to me it looks like all you had was an offer, and possibly acceptance (on the first estimate), but there was no consideration....noone was paid, and no work was performed. I guess I dont' even see a complaint.

10. selnoil

selnoil LawnSite Member

I wouldn't get to upset about it. The BBB well contact you to hear your side of the story before making any judgement. My companies are members of our local BBB so I've read the rules. We've never had a complaint or anything filed on us but I know guys who have. They look at both sides and if your story pans out you've nothing to worry about!