BBB Who uses them?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by cpllawncare, Feb 2, 2013.

1. cpllawncare

cpllawncare LawnSite Silver Member

PE, I'm like you I'm a huge AL'r also, just thought about adding a lil umph like yourself but just couldn't seem to decide if it was really worth it my gut was telling me no guess I should listen! I'm sure they HATE AL, LOL

2. Dugann

Dugann LawnSite Member

BBB is IMO over rated. They call once a year, and basically you buy your rating. I think they told me like $250 a year for their "backing". I feel like that it might put some customers mind at ease as someone said already but I feel it will not gain any new customers from it.

3. cpllawncare

Again, the BBB is not about gaining customers, but rather a credential that says "Your operating a legit business" I know when they called me before they would let me join (I didn't) they verified my business license, insurance and pesticide license. I haven't joined but I think at some point it would help more than it would hurt especially for marketing purposes

4. tonygreek

tonygreek LawnSite Gold Member

Isn't that really the same thing? If you are a BBB member, then you use whatever weight that's worth in your sales process. To me, any mediation they provide is a waaaaaaaaaay distant second to the perceived, or real, value of their membership.

5. Will P.C.

Will P.C. LawnSite Senior Member

This is a good point and have been on both sides of the fence in which they were super helpful, fair, thorough, and really investigated the facts. Like a mentioned earlier, they are a big help when a customer tries to extort or scam you when they call the BBB with bullshit wanting big time money.

6. ToddH

ToddH LawnSite Silver Member

My company is A+ but I am not accredited. Much of their data on me, address and such is now out of date.

So it is not 100% true that you buy the ratings.

I might join just to update my listing. IE my name change and website change.

7. cpllawncare

I agree I guess that's why I haven't joined, I can't justify the so called value, I did look up how many other companies are in my area that are using them and it's a very very small number, so I was thinking it would be a good way to stand out from the hundreds of others. Maybe next year I'll add them in the mix.