Bbb

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Newguy25, Jan 18, 2008.

1. Newguy25

Newguy25 LawnSite Member

Need opinions on joining the BBB. From what I have read I would like to become accrediated. Looks like a good way to get more customers and show how professional my biz is. Looks like $350 just to get started. Is it worth it? How long does it take to get accrediated? You can not put the bbb symbol on anything till your accrediated from what I have read. Thanks. :usflag:

2. steve5966

steve5966 LawnSite Member

"A fool and his money are soon parted"

The BBB is a toothless watchdog, if a customer complains to the BBB about you and you make an effort to satisfy that customer, the BBB can not say a bad thing about you. They are not a government entity, not a court of law and have no power to do anything for you or your customer.

We have never had a run in with the BBB, so don't take this like retaliation against them. I don't see them as anything but a very weak marketing tool, with some shady sales practices.

Ask your friends and current customers how many times they have used the BBB to check out any business.

As far as using their logo, I believe that will cost you more than the $350 if you want it on anything but a business card.

3. Danscapes

Danscapes LawnSite Senior Member

BBB is a joke, some companies swear buy it, but why? It only gives a place other than yourself for a customer to complain too. I don't know about you but I like to handle complaints personally (if there is one, ever)LOL. Why risk spending money for something that can give you a bad rap, and as far as credibility goes........word of mouth speaks for itself.

4. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

in one way your right...

it does look good in advertiseing....

member of the BBB.....

But most Co's just say bonded and insured

5. bill8379

bill8379 LawnSite Senior Member

Around here it only costs $21/month, for that I got to use their logo on all advertising, they gave me some stickers for the windows on my trucks, a cheap $1 sign to hang on my wall, bunch of paraphernalia.

But when I quite them, they sent me a bunch of letters demanding all that crap back, if I remember they even threatened court action. I told them I threw it all in the garbage and never used any of their stickers. They were actually quite rude.

I really think they are useless. I got angry with them when they took out their monthly stipend from my bank account but I had drained that account by accident, and they decided to charge me a $35 NSF, Plus the Bank wanted to charge me $25 NSF. I was like WHAT!!! I never had to pay either and I decided to end membership.

I'm not sure if being a BBB member ever did anything but motivate a whiny customer that ripped ME off to phone and complain. Then they phone me... she never did put her complaint in writing. That customer would actually phone me and say 'Hi, is this the better business bureau?' I just hung up on her.

6. FCPWLLC

FCPWLLC LawnSite Senior Member

Since I track every lead.... BBB was responsible for over $10k in work for us last year. It is a trusted household name. Consumers often turn to the BBB looking for a member to give them a quote. The BBB has been worth every penny for us. The first year we joined.. A week after being on thier website listed as a member, an apartment complex logged on and searched for Pressure Washing companies and found us. It was a $3500 job completed in 10 hours. Paid for the membership for the next 10 years.

7. Willofalltrades

Willofalltrades LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm getting accredited soon... I think its really just a marketing tool... but a good one to help me stand out... once I get it that logo is goin EVERYWHERE! lol its $408 for my SP to register... its based on the amount of employees.

8. big acres

big acres LawnSite Member

You get the logo in print form with the membership fee. You must pay extra to have a logo/link on your website. Just this morning, I got an e-mail stating that someone checked us out through our BBB link. T

I agree, this is a strong brand that lends credibility. We happen to be located near our local chapter, and they offer Dale Carnegie sales training to members for FREE! If you price the complete Dale Carnegie course, it is over $1800. So I have found our membership to be worthwhile. It is also good that they will not let some PITA smear your reputation, as long as you document what steps you've taken to remedy the inquiry. They classify these people as "unsatisfiable" or like term.