BBC or no BBC

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Don32, Jan 6, 2006.

1. Don32

Don32 LawnSite Member

I understand what BBC is and what it does, but what does it do for the operator other than not having to pull the rope again. I'm sure there are safety reasons but for the extra money, is it worth it? Especially on a smaller walk behind. Just curious, thanks.

2. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

3. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Blade Brake Clutch.

On any mower that has the blade mounted directly to the engine shaft you have 2 options. 1. A bail on the handle that, when released, kills the engine and applies a brake to the flywheel. or 2. a BBC, which when the bail is released, a clutch mounted on the shaft between the engine and blade releases and a brake is applied stopping the blade only.

For a mower that is going to be used for catching grass a BBC is very nice to have. When you need to empty the bag you can safely do so by just killing the blade and not the engine. For a mower that is used for side discharge or mulching only it's not really necessary since you will only be starting and stopping once in each lawn. Plus the clutch is just another wear item and the cost to replace sometimes is around 1/4 of what the whole mower cost.

4. lawnmaniac883

Ohhh, ok, I know what you are talking about, the abbreviation had me confused. I definately think it is worthit as you said on a bagged lawn, how much extra is it on the model you are looking at?

5. Don32

Don32 LawnSite Member

I'm interested in either JA 62 or JX 75 from Deere. It appears the differences are: JX 75 has Kaw engine rather than Briggs, three more speeds and the BBC option. I guess I'm not sure if worth the extra $250? Maybe it is. Any help would be appreciated.

6. G.M.Landscaping

G.M.Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

To me its just another part to wear out or break. On my toro 21,which has no BBC, I removed the safety shut off cable and brake completely. Now it stays running when I let go of the safety bar while emptying the bag.

7. lawnmaniac883

Sounds nice to have the blade disengaged when emptying the bag while the engine stays running, but not worth 250...

8. CLARK LAWN

CLARK LAWN LawnSite Silver Member

your fingers arn't worth $250. mine sure are.

9. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Well with the JD you are getting alot more for that $250 extra than just the BBC as you pointed out. Look close at them now though. In the past 2 years the JX75 has really gone down hill bad in durabilty and quality of machine. IMO, look at other brands too. Honda commercial, Toro proline, Exmark. Even some others like the Ariens commercial I think are better built than the new JD's. Plus JD is notiorus for having weak and expensive transmissions to replace and the wheels being all plastic wear really quick.

I have an older, much older, JD 21", and I love it! I don't use mine very hard at all and it had the BBC replaced when I bought it because it was seized. This last summer I spent the $90 on 4 new wheels only to have the transmission shell out 2 weeks later! That was another $180. I went ahead and spent the $$ on it because it's a good solid machine and the engine starts on the first pull all the time. Plus it's NOT replacable anymore...

10. lawnmaniac883

Umm, you can still turn the engine off no problem buddy. I sure as hell wouldnt empty a bag with the engine/blades running PERIOD.