1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

BC 864 (deutz) help? - died... Fuel related

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by janb, May 12, 2007.

1. janb

janb LawnSite Senior Member

The 864 died tonight (Friday of course) Dozer rented for the weekend, weather changing and I need this too...(violins...)

it sputtered very quick and died, (after ~ 5 hrs work)

no fuel to injectors, but fuel at filter (both in and out). plenty in tank

Is there any way to 'override' the shut-off solenoid on a duetz? Maybe there was an errant signal from Oil Pressure or temp, tho no error codes or warning lights.

I have a service manual, but it is not too helpful for trouble shooting.

Hopefully it is not a timing belt:cry: it only has 650 hrs.

any help appreciated. (maybe someone has been in similar shape with their 863 / t200,,,)

Fortunately it is not buried in some swamp (yet)
  2. janb

I checked the fuses and relay first... (too bad ...)
  3. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Fuel pump? Check all your fuses first and go from there.

EDIT: So you checked fuses, I'm trying to think what else it could be...
  4. Fieldman12

Fieldman12 LawnSite Bronze Member

Well, if your getting fuel to the filter but not any farther Im guessing it's a plugged fuel filter. I would change it. You need to first make sure though that the fuel is not cut off to the injector with the solenoid. Im guessing the fuel comes straight from the fuel tank to the injector? You have no lift pump that assist getting fuel to the injector pump?
  5. xcopterdoc

xcopterdoc LawnSite Senior Member

The Duetz engine has a mechanical lift pump and also has an injector pump for each injector. The injector pumps are cam driven poppet type pump with a rack activated by a shutoff selonoid. The shutoff seloniod is activated when the key is turned to the start position and remains activated until the key is shut off. It pulls open and then is held open as long as the key remains in the ON position.
    Check for fuel all along the lines coming from the lift pump to the injector pumps. Crack the lines at the pumps one at a time and pump the primer bulb. You should have good flow and no air. Next, on the engine block, near the number 3 and 4 pump, you will see a small plug. I believe the head size is 10mm, remove th eplug and you will see the fuel rack, a flat bar. Have a helper turn the key on and then to the start position. The rack should slide over and remain in that position til the key is turned off.
    Also there is a screen in the mechanical lift pump. The cover is on the front side of the pump and is held in place by a small phillips head screw. Remove the cover and clean any debris from the screen. Make sure to get the o-ring back in place when replacing the cover.
    Try all that and report back!
  6. YellowDogSVC

YellowDogSVC LawnSite Gold Member
    from TX

don't forget about the fuel pickup line in the tank. I had 863's with the deutz and they had the problems right there in tank with clogged pick up lines. Even if there is fuel in the filter, it may not be enough coming in.
  7. janb

thanks for the great ideas and help

I was very fortunate to find the problem in the connection to the solenoid. Daylight has a way of helping in these matters.

Thx again,
    finished the main grading at 6pm, the rain had started at 5:58 -