BCF Fertilizer...Anyone used it?

Discussion in 'Fertilizer Application' started by ted putnam, Jan 15, 2008.

1. ted putnam

ted putnam LawnSite Platinum Member

Anyone ever use BCF fertilizer? The company is now called BCF. It used to stand for Bonus Crop Fertilizer. The company is based in Memphis so it would probably be one of you southern guys.

2. JWTurfguy

JWTurfguy LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds like some sort of ag-grade fert....if so, it's probably not something you'd want to base a professional lawn care program on.

It's not usually hard to find those ferts, especially down south at local farmer's cooperatives, etc. The thing to remember, though, is that the quality of fert you might need for growing corn and peanuts isn't necessarily the same as what's needed for highly-maintained turf. My advice is to look elsewhere if you're considering what to use on people's homes. The extra couple bucks a bag will almost certainly pay off in results.

3. ted putnam

I appreciate your comment but... They started out 40 yrs ago as an ag fert mfg. They now make what appears to be some decent looking fertilizer specifically some 28-3-10 30% scu with 2% iron that I am looking at. I have never used their stuff before. I have used Lesco fert for 18 yrs...

4. quiet

quiet LawnSite Senior Member

They're a big blender in the South. Many distributors carry their products. Nothing special. If you're price shopping, check out what your distributor has of theirs. You'll get the occasional chunk, but they're catering to the "value priced" market

5. ted putnam

Thanks quiet,

That's what I needed to know. I looked at a little of their product today. It ain't Lesco fert,if you know what I mean but it didn't look that bad either.For $4.75 less a bag, it might do for my R-2 application. Then use the Lesco for R-3, R-4. I've never used it. I've had to use some crap fertilizer working for others in the past. This did not appear to be crap....I just keep wondering if the suits at John Deere have lost their minds or what...I mean they've got guys looking high and low for other sources. They will lose business. How much? Time will tell.