Be careful around AC units!

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by LawnMowerMan2003, Sep 2, 2007.

1. LawnMowerMan2003

LawnMowerMan2003 LawnSite Senior Member

I suppose this should be obvious, but I've mowed probably hundreds of yards before I got unlucky and hit the copper line going into the compresser. Well, they ended up having to replace it and it cost $4,000, of which the deductable was $1500 of the homeowners insurance! So it will be a long time before I make any money from that customer (if they don't fire me after I pay them back lol). Just a warning to new LCO's; I never guessed I could do that much damage with a mower! I know I should have liabillity, but what can I say, I was just getting started again.

Kevin

2. lawnscapesLLC

lawnscapesLLC LawnSite Member

I used to work in HVAC and it's easy enough to fix that copper line. If they chose to replace the whole unit i don't think you should have had to pay for a whole new unit, just the repair. But good advise tho!!! Also don't blow the grass into it either or if you do make sure you blow it all off of it before you go.

3. maintenanceguy

maintenanceguy LawnSite Member
    from NJ

If the compressor continued to run after all the refrigerant and oil was gone, it would seize from a lack of lubrication. Many, maybe most residential units do not have low pressure safety switches to shut the compressor down.

I can see how hitting the copper line set could kill the whole condenser unit.

4. echeandia

echeandia LawnSite Bronze Member

Do you have insurance now? If not you might need to learn this lesson again.

5. Pastaboy62

Pastaboy62 LawnSite Senior Member

this is probably a stupid question but how bad is it if you shoot grass at the unit....

6. MattsMowing3535

MattsMowing3535 LawnSite Senior Member

its not bad at all as long as you get the grass out of it with the blower

7. tjsquickcuts

tjsquickcuts LawnSite Senior Member
    from Atlanta

That would have been something my insurance would have handled....$1500 is a lot of $$$$$......would have been $500 for me....

8. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

I SMELL A BIG FAT RAT!

But this should be on your insurence and not your customers insurence.

9. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

10. LawnMowerMan2003

LawnMowerMan2003 LawnSite Senior Member

Well that's what I was hoping but they tried flushing the system and fixing the copper line but it didn't work, according to customer; the compressor kept shutting off, due to grass or water still in there, so they had to replace the unit. They could have lied but I know they replaced the unit and I wouldn't be able to prove them wrong so I'm just going to do free lawn service/payments.