1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Be careful Confrontation last Friday with a weapon

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by nosparkplugs, Apr 27, 2007.

1. nosparkplugs

nosparkplugs LawnSite Gold Member

Last Friday, while performing our weekly maintenance at one of my Apartment complex's there is a large 2 acre field that is shared with another apartment complex we mow it, the tentant park their vehicles along the edge of the field. A Crazy maintenance/handyman acused us of throwing rocks up side his already trashed F-150, I inspected the truck we did not throw any rocks against his door, plus I use as Walker GHS, and mulching plates on other decks. Anyway I told the guy to call the police, he did the police showed up just as we were loading up to leave 45 minutes later, anyway the officer said the guy did not have a vaild complant/ no police report. The guy waited for the police to leave, then drove onto our apartment complex's property got out of his truck with a gun!! on his hip, brandishing this gun talking crazy!. I carry a Kahr PM-40 in my pocket for this reason, and have a concealed carry permit, I could have defended myself, with deadly force I chose to talk him into leaving, please be careful, next time I would make sure to ask the police to stay until one of use left the area, and come to find out he was not who he said he was, this guy was crazy what has this world come to. I have been carrying for 3 years now first confrontation that involved a weapon/gun
  2. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

Am I missing something? The police are called when rocks are alledgedly accidentally thrown by a mower, but not when people start confrontations with others brandishing guns????????
  3. cpel2004

cpel2004 LawnSite Bronze Member

You should have blasted his azz and asked questions later. I live in South Florida the land of riods and the I wanna be just like the guy in the rap video. For that very reason I'm thinking about buying a gun. I don't care if they are crazy or just trying to act tough but some thing has to give and its not going to be me.
  4. Nathan Robinson

Nathan Robinson LawnSite Senior Member
    from 47712

scott...you crack me up man! Anyhow, any guy flaunting a gun is a guy with no balls and wants his hin to simulate him having a pair. There no need for you to pack a gun when you can throw rocks anyways....lol.... I wouldnt worry about him and I would contact his superviser about him trying to intice you to a fight before he goes to them bashing you asking to request bids from other providers!
  5. Vikings

Vikings LawnSite Bronze Member
    from canada

American's:laugh: :usflag:
  6. Chilehead

Chilehead LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Stockbridge, GA

I carry a machete with me in my truck. I use it as a tool for knocking down brush. If anyone dare tried to hold me at gunpoint, I'd make sure I did what I had to in order to leave the confrontation alive. Then, I'd make sure to track the joker down, slice off his head, drive it on a stake, drive the stake to the ground, pour gasoline on his head, and light it on fire. I'd make sure that the remaining skull would serve as a trophy on my mantle. The carcass I would feed to some gators 2 hours away. Now that--THAT would be my style.
  7. nosparkplugs

nosparkplugs LawnSite Gold Member

The brandshing lasted maybe 1 minute, and he was gone, left the scene, If I was in Floridia I would have shot him, you all have the gun law(FL), that allows you to only have to FEEL a threat to use deadly force. Makes me want to carry cowboy style, with my Springfield XD 40 3" service model & IWB Galco holster. This is an example crazy people don't pull guns with police around they wait for them to leave. This is a wake up call for me next time I must defend myself, but I will make sure that if I can, get the police involved every situation is different. This guy got his gun after ther police left, and drove over to our truck & trailer.
  8. crab

crab LawnSite Senior Member

Nice work vikings,how is the weather up there buddy!:usflag:
  9. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

I'd say in this case(though I don't know the law specifically in TN), if he was brandishing, and/or pointing the weapon at you, and you did not provoke him, you would have been justified in shooting him.

And if someone was brandishing like that at me, and I was carrying, that's exactly what I would have done. Obviously this guy was a nutcase, you knew it, the cop knew it. I wouldn't have taken the chance to "talk him down". If he'd left the gun in its holster yeah, that's different, but if he drew on me that changes things considerably.

I'd hope you called the police after the incident... Did you?
  10. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

You think you would have had time to take your gun out of your pocket, release the safety and shoot him before he shot you dead? You were lucky, if you are going to carry a concealed weapon, use a shoulder holster or carry it where you can get to it and use it quickly. Or get in your truck and get the hell out of there! Did he un-holster the gun? I would have left immediately called the cops or drove to the station and filed a report. He will be there next time you are working there so the cops need to know about this.