Be Careful Guys!

Discussion in 'Water Features' started by Victor, Mar 30, 2006.

1. Victor

Victor LawnSite Bronze Member

For those of you who actually get into ponds to clean them, be careful! Those pond floors can be incredibly slippery. I've read about more than one instance where someone waded into a pond and drowned because they slipped and couldn't get up. Supposedly, some of these people drowned in water that was waist-deep, or less. They slipped on the slimy, algae-covered pond bottom and couldn't get enough traction to stand up. If I rememeber correctly, they supposedly gasped while trying to get to their feet and sucked in water as a result. Before my incident at a place called Honolua Bay, I never considered the possibilty of that happening.

I know full and well that I shouldn't tell you guys about my Honolua Bay incident, because you're probably going to enjoy it too much, but it's late, I'm bored and at the moment, I don't really know any better than to tell you. I normally don't tell people about this, because it was so embarrassing and I don't like to relive it, but here goes.

About 8 years ago, I got my scuba certification in Maui with my brother. It was a 3-day course. After My brother and I had completed the course, we asked Mike (the dive master who certified us), if there was a dive location he would recommend taking us to the next day for a fun dive. He said that new of a spot that would be perfect for him to take us to. He said it was a sheltered cove about 10 miles up the cost from the dive shop, called "Honolua Bay." He told us about all these beautiful things we could look forward to seeing, like huge sea turtles, gorgeous schools of fish and huge reefs of beautiful coral that form canyons that we would be able to get way down in and swim through. Heck... He even told about how a Chevy van was stolen in the eighties and how the guy that stole it, had pushed it off one of the cliffs that towered above the bay. As a result we were told to keep our eyes open for it while we were diving, because he was going to be taking us right past it! Actually... Mike told us about everything we could look forward to, except those *^##^*^&%^ LETHAL, ALGAE-COVERED ROCKS that you had to walk across to get into, or out of the water!!!!! :realmad:

I don't know how I did it, but getting out to the deeper water, I made it across those rocks without too much trouble. Coming in was a different story though! Now walking across rocks that are as slicker than snot on a doorknob, is obviously a pretty precarious act guys. Gee... Everyone knows that. What will really made things interesting, was having close to an hour worth of dive time to get acclimated to being in a weightless state and then suddenly being forced to negotiate a surface that's so slippery with not only your body weight to deal with (which you're not used to carrying by now), but all that heavy, clumsy scuba gear that you're wearing too. As if that wasn't enough, the waves that were coming in, were doing their best to send me arse over tea kettle too.

Anyway... So there I was... Last in line to try and make it to the shore. Mike was going to go first, then my brother Charles, then it would be my turn. Well.. I looked up and saw that Mike was taking a stab at it. He looked pretty silly doing it, but at least he made it. Sure, there were a couple of close calls where I saw some arm flailing going on, there were also some pretty funny slips, slides and dance steps (like you'd see in a Tom and Jerry cartoon) but at least he made it to the beach without falling. Now keep in mind, while all this was going on, we had a full audience on the beach. I don't think there was a soul on that beach that wasn't watching the show. Even the people who were out in the water swimming were watching the show for goodness sake!

Well... Next up was my brother, Charles. He did even better than Mike did. Actually, to give credit where credit's due, he did really well. He carefully picked his way towards the beach (meanwhile I was carefully watching the path he took). Since I was going to be starting from the same spot that he had started from, I figured that if I took the path he had taken, I'd be fine. When he strode ashore like it was no big deal, he was greeted with applause from everyone on the beach! Mike told us later, that he had taken one of the most difficult routes. :hammerhead: << (Charles) JERK!!!

So there I was... With my fins in my left hand, I started picking my way for shore. I worked this way, I worked that way (following the path my idiot brother Charles had taken), I strained to see the rocks below through the surf, so I could ensure I was stepping on rocks that looked like the safest ones to tread upon. Well... Stupid me. I got to within 15 feet of the beach, when I got the bright idea to look up at the people on the beach. ;) When I looked up, I'd swear every one of them was watching me with smiles on their faces! The ones I made eye contact with all had that (this is gonna be so funny when this moron falls) look on their faces. That's all it took. I was done! I lost my concentration and the next thing I knew, I was GOING DOWN!! I can still remember throwing my fins towards Mike on the beach, as I threw my hands awkwardly up in the air. I knew it wasn't going to be pretty the moment I felt my dive boots slipping out from under me. While I was going down, I can remember being worried about having to get back up and face those spectators on the beach. Right before I hit the water, I yelled AHHHHHHHH and then hit with a thunderous splash!!! Sure enough. When my ears broke the water as I was getting back up, they were greeted to the sound of the whole beach roaring with laughter. This one old lady wasn't laughing. She had this sad, concerned look on her face (as if to say aww, that poor boy). :eek:

To salvage what thread of dignity I had left, I took a deep breath, got down on my knees and crawled the rest of the way to shore. Naturally, I didn't waste any time slinking into the forest that surrounded the beach (like a dog that had been caught crapping in the living room) and was on my way to the van! Oh well... At least the people on the beach sure seemed to enjoy my experience... on the rocks.... at a place called Honolua Bay. JERKS!!!!

So guys... I went through the trouble of writing all of this, to remind you guys to be careful when you're out there this Spring.

Vic

2. Victor

Victor LawnSite Bronze Member

Some woman in town here drowned in a fairly shallow pond. The article didn't elaborate on the cause, but I wouldn't be suprised if the aforementioned reason was to blame. :(

Vic