1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Be Careful Near Water!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mowtech, May 11, 2007.

1. mowtech

mowtech LawnSite Senior Member

2. greatlawns

greatlawns LawnSite Member
    from NJ

That sucks...:(

I always tell my guys to be very careful near any water, tiered paver walls, etc. You never know what could happen if you get too close to the edge. It is always best to spend a little more time on a job and do those dangerous areas with a weedwhacker.

You can always replace equipment, but not the person using it.
  3. patterson

patterson LawnSite Member

A buddy of mine just got very lucky with the same scenario. One of his guys was mowing around a lake, slid down and went in nose first. The front end was in the water, they hooked two tow straps to a truck and pulled it out. Dried it off, started her up, and back to work. Obviously, could have been a lot worse. We had a guy drown in a retention pond here in Indy last year.

If you think it might be too steep, too slippery, too anything, grab a trimmer or a trim mower.
  4. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

That is terrible! What a way to go.
  5. tjsquickcuts

tjsquickcuts LawnSite Senior Member
    from Atlanta

Wow, I am speechless. I am currently training two new operators, and I know they are tired of me talking about how to do it correctly and safetly, but they have to understand that its serious. I just printed that article out and will attach it to payroll checks tomorrow. Accidents are my only worry about having employees. I want so bad to take my hands off all the physical things right now, but just cant seem to be able to let it all go without me overseeing ass much as possible just to make sure everything is all good.

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE LawnSite Bronze Member

No operater and a walk behind should have been used.
  7. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

The ROPS does not keep one from being trapped underneath, nor does it completely stop the Z from flipping... ROPS stands for Roll-Over prevention System, however, a Z can and will roll or flip over if the force is great enough, and once upside down, the ROPS does not leave enough room for a human body, if any...
    It is something I've wondered about, why this has never been addressed... Why is the ROPS and the Z constructed in such a way that if it flips over, there's not enough room left for the operator?

Yes, I understand that underwater this fellow likely would've died anyhow...
    But even on dry ground, if a Z flips somebody is likely crushed dead all the same.

That is just one reason I have a high degree of respect (and outright fear to a degree) for my warrior. The other reason is, I get disrespectful with my little Wb's (the tiny 48"s) all the time because I've cut over 3,000 lawns and even before this, I like having my fun... From time to time thou, something doesn't go exactly as planned, and that 300 lb. otherwise complacent beast does not hesitate to slap my arse hard enough to let me know who ultimately is always the boss.

Having been smacked to tears more than a few times by the Wb before, I simply know better than to play the fool on a Z, I take NO chances with that big beast. I always say, if you want to be the fool, do it with the Wb.
    Because where the Wb will hurt you bad and can break your bones, only the truly unlucky can die at the hands of a Wb, but I have always been convinced that a Z will not hesitate to kill you.
  8. Adam's Lawn and Garden

Adam's Lawn and Garden LawnSite Senior Member

Although that wasn't the smartest thing to do. If i was to go, i'd rather have it mowing grass, which is something i love than something i hate.(like homework)

9. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Well, I tell ya... I just had a related discussion with a customer.

At one point, His back lawn just dropped off into a dozer road that lead to his second piece of property. Last year, he started working along, doing a retaining wall along the road bank.

He didn't hire me to hardscape it... instead, he had some rock masons make him some steps... and he hired day-labor to do a timber wall. Everything but just the start of it was completed over the winter. When I returned this spring it was backfilled behind it and sown in grass.

The soil has now settled to the point one timber is above ground level and that area along it has to be trimmed anyways. But I trim it all, despite the fact huge rebar goes down through the timbers and stuff.

I will not get over on the fill area with the mower to begin with, and much of the lower section, being incomplete with the grading is one-pass or less narrow and downhill along the wall.

He has planted some form of dang field fescue that is up now and growing like a weed. 6-7 inches a week in the fill dirt, and I have trimmed the whole area 3 or 4 times already. It's a lot of extra work for me, so I brought it up with the customer about a price increase.

Of course he couldn't understand why I wouldn't just ride over it with my mower down next to his home maid day labor built wall.

No thanks.
    I have no desire to end up face down in that road or off in the woods with my mower on top of me.
  10. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

Dang! That is terrible! Crestview is just a little ways up the highway from me. Surprised I didn't hear of this until now.