Be careful of what you read!

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by rcreech, Jul 15, 2007.

1. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

Lawnsite members,

Be careful of what you read on here at times!

I think this site is great! I have only been on here for a couple months, but have learned valuable information.

I know that this site is mostly based on "this is the way I do it" or "this worked for me", but when it comes to technical science I think it lacks. It is hard for me to keep my mouth shut when I see inaccurate information.

It makes me very nervous when I see guys on here making recommendations with no education or background in what they are discussing. 20 years of experience doesn't make you an agronomist.

I have read multiple posts that just have plain inaccurate inforation. Yes you can read anything and get info, but what is the source?

MY ADVICE:

I know it easy to just type a qeustion on here and get an "answer" but if you have a question about technical information wether it be about pesticides, soils etc. I would recommend you look to University websites (Purdue and Ohio State is on top of their game) for your information. On here it seems like mostly opinions or what people think rather then true science. Just google what you are looking for and the Universty name.

Example: Soil pH, Ohio State or Weed, lawn, ID, Ohio State

This will give you exactly what you are looking for,

Sorry just had to vent...

2. olive123

olive123 LawnSite Senior Member

You are misdirected. First of all for basic info you can contact an ag agent. In my experience most of the time you get someone who has only basic knowledge.(like when i had a question about a new insect in s. fla and my agent grabbed a book off the shelf and said lets see...meanwhile he is telling me he is from ohio and ahs only been there 3 months.)
    I agree that there are a lot of guys with experience and no knowledge. However most guys with 20 years exp. have hands on experience daily in the natural world whereas others are in a controlled environment and getting most info from the guys out there. And one more thing i think it is mighty presumptious of you to imply that people "be careful" with advice. A lot of us have a LOT of experience and college degrees and continuing ed credits etc. and we can make our own decisions based upon others help and recommendations.

3. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

How about 34 years?....

Bottom line......its ok to vent

4. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

Olive123,

I know there are alot of educated and very knowledgable people on here. As I said I have learned a ton on here.

I agree that it is ok in some areas to contact your area agent, but here our agents all graduated from OSU. More then likely if they don't have the answer they are just going to do to the OSU websites and give me an answer.

Just saves me a step and I can do it at night sitting in my lazy chair.

I know experience is more important in life then anything...but there are some things you can't learn from experience!

5. quiet

quiet LawnSite Senior Member

I'll agree with the premise somewhat. Northern boys giving advice for southern turfgrasses and vice versa.

Saw a thread the other day where someone advised use of atrazine for a pre-m on bermuda.

6. GreenT

GreenT LawnSite Fanatic

All I can say is .... you must be young. :waving:

7. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

I understand where you are coming from. I admit that I have given the wrong answers from time to time (usually an oversight cuz I did not read the original question properly). We rely on several knowledge bases: land grant universities, chemical companies, and people in the field. "Lawnsite" is number one...no question, but it always pays to get second opinions from another source. I know one thing for sure....members of this site usually try to help others.

8. DSTC

DSTC LawnSite Member

What's wrong with Atrizine on Bermuda grass? I apply Atrizine 2x per year on Bermuda. Once as a Fall & Winter Pre-M and once right before green up in spring. Atrizine can only be applied to dormant Bermuda grass, so I hope whoever posted that stated that it can only be applied in dormancy :). Also, I can only apply Atrizine here in GA between Oct. 1 and April 15.

Here are a couple of links from the UGA Extension service website to help. As americanlawn said, don't take anyones word for it on here. I agree completely that one should do their own research.

http://www.commodities.caes.uga.edu/turfgrass/georgiaturf/Publicat/PCRP2007/BL-BO.pdf

Here the chart has a "D" next to Bermuda. That means Dormancy.

http://www.commodities.caes.uga.edu/turfgrass/georgiaturf/Publicat/PCRP2007/Herb Tol Pre.pdf

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=193580

9. ArizPestWeed

ArizPestWeed LawnSite Bronze Member

Rcreech , figure this

No offense intended . btw

Everyone here at lawnsite has to read a book on how to “walk “, the book states that you , using a 1 foot ruler , measure 1 foot out in front of your left foot and put your right heal there , place your weight forward and repeat with other foot and continue this process over & over .
    There , that’s it .

Ok , you creech , will get maybe 1K feet in a straight line at the end of the day .
    That’s you .

The rest of us , by the third time with the ruler will figure it out and take off on our own , no more ruler , and develop our own personalized walk , with character , and be running all over the place having fun , getting things done , writing our own books on how to do it .

You , on the other hand will still be using the ruler , placing one foot in front of the other .

You must be young , lacking in depth and creativity .

Maybe you should join the service where they just follow direct orders and noting but direct orders , that way , you won’t have to think .

Paul

10. olive123

olive123 LawnSite Senior Member

bottom line there will always be professionals that thrive for excellence and there will be hacks that care for nothing but a quick buck. From what Ive read over the years, hacks get "weeded" out on this site...:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: