Be careful on roads!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mdb landscaping, Sep 11, 2003.

1. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

A few weeks ago i started full time working for another local LCO and put off going full time on my own. We were mowign our second house of the day and i just put the 1st of the two tigers back on the trailer. I grabbed a backpack blower and stepped both feet back on the curb when all of a sudden a subaru outback launched itself up the 26 ft long big texs gate and slammed into the left pillar doing about 40 mph. Her car pretty much was totaled, and the trailer needs a new back gate and the frame is bent. the trailer suprisingly held up good for a car launching into it doing 40. there was some slight sun glare. So heres another example why you should always watch when unloading or loading....cause you never know what could happen. she ended up getting a ticket for speeding.

2. pcnservices

pcnservices LawnSite Senior Member

wow that sounds like a near miss! What happened to the mowers

3. GLAN

GLAN Banned

Wow...........

4. mike9497

mike9497 LawnSite Senior Member

just a ticket?? if i was the cop i would give her a dumb*** award and take here lic away

5. Navig8r

Navig8r LawnSite Senior Member

Glad everyone's OK.
    Is this a small residential street? or a busier road?

Did you have any cones/triangles out? I always put at least one cone behind the truck, and on one particular street I have an orange construction flag I stick out of the top of it for better vis......
    Gonna put new lights (in better than stock location) on trailer over the winter, with an amber strobe incorporated into the driver's side lighting to leave on while parked.

6. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

nothing happened to the mowers......one guy was still using a tiger, and i put the other tiger on.....its a long trailer, 26 feet i think, so she didnt hit the mowers, they just jumped around a little. I still cant beleive how well the big tex held up considering what happened. its probably totaled for what its worth, but if you over look the trashed gate and left pillar, the frame is still pretty decent.. a little bent. we did not have cones out, but in this case it wouldnt have mattered i dont think, she never saw us at all and didnt hit the brakes at all. we did put cones out today....and from now on though.

7. Albemarle Lawn

Albemarle Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Glad nobody was hurt.

Don't forget to ask the insurance co. for downtime compensation and/or business interuption compensation, it's only fair.

Be firm. They may try to put you in a Geo Metro as a rental until your rig is replaced, been there done that, my 5 week old trailer was wiped out in a wreck with a guy who ran a red light and broad sided me with an f250 4x4.

KB

8. I agree with Mike. She should get a little more recognition for that feat.

Glad nobody got hurt.

9. The Lawn Boy Pro

The Lawn Boy Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

I guess Chris (Lawncare3) has good ambitions in putting out 9 cones:D

far away.jpg

10. Matt'slawncare

Matt'slawncare LawnSite Member

I always think about that happening when my gates are down that why i started putting them up all the time. Glad your OK