Be careful out there!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Jimbo, Jul 22, 2002.

1. Jimbo

Jimbo LawnSite Bronze Member

We all know that at the end of a long day when your almost done and huring to try and get home is when we make those stupid mistakes. Let me name a few and then you can add your own.

1. Put the regular gas in the two-stroke or vice versa.
    2. Forget to latch the trailer gate or trailer tongue.
    3. Forget to tie down equipment.
    4. Leave something behind at the job site.
    5. Put a big scratch on something nice.

Anyway, today was one of those days. I started at 7:00 AM and went non stop to 3:00. It was very hot and I was beat pretty good. My last job was trimming some hedges, and I noticed that the trimmer was getting a little heavy and akward. Well this is where common sense would have told me to take a break, but it was so hot I just wanted to get finished. AND THEN IT HAPPENED!

As I rounded off one of the tops I released the throttle and let the trimmer come down by my side. I figured that the blades stopped but they didnt and as they were slowing down the trimmer caught my left upper thigh.
    I saw the hole in my pants and could only imagine what lie below, because it hurt like hell.
    I went behind a dumpster to take a look, and I noticed that there was not much blood. The blade had actually pinched me more than cut me. Thank the lord I where briefs to corral my package. If I wore boxers I might have been in some serious trouble right now.

Try your best to take it easy when you get tired, and consider wearing briefs!!!
    JIM

2. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

:eek: :eek: CLOSE CALL!!!!! :eek: :eek:

When it is hot and we are busting our butts all day, things can happen "IN A NEW YORK MINUTE"... when we get in a hurry or tired, we need to try to stay on our toes and concentrate, but sometimes it is hard. That is the time to take a break, nothing is worth hurting yourself or someone else.. saftey First is my motto.

MY wife finally talked me into wearing boxers this year. Yow, I am getting sick just thinking about it!!!!:cry:

3. SLS

SLS LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mars

Jimbo,

I feel your pain. The same thing happened to me saturday...except it was my right butt cheek! I dropped the trimmer to my side (holding it with right hand) to pick out a couple of clippings with my left hand. I was finishing a 4 hour job, had just finished blowing the bushes and hedges clean, and was nipping those last little stragglers...and got nipped myself! A sweet , little 'bite' mark! :eek:

Glad I had on my trusty Swedish Army BDU's...very thick. Didn't even make a tear in them. Trying to convince the wife where that 'hickey' on my buns came from (without a hole to match in the BDU's to back me up) was quite a chore! :D

Yep, BE CAREFUL! You never know what you will have to explain to the 'little lady'!

4. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

did the same thing last year, major heat, trimming yews, got tired as heck, dropped trimmers down, cut me leg pretty good. think think think, slow down. if u stop trimming, the shrubs will still be there tommorow, if u dont stop, u may not be here tommorow....

5. dr grass

dr grass Banned

where do i start ... lol. lets see. my helper last week ... out of 4 hedge trimming jobs he pinched his leg at 3 of them on his right upper thigh, but in different spots. after the first time i told him "i bet you wont do that again." boy was i wrong ... lmao. a few weeks ago we got to a job and the gate was down on the trailer! ! i looked at my helper and said did we just drag that all the way from the last job?? well after examening the lip of the gate, it was pretty wore down, and we did drag it from the last job ... about 3 miles! ! lol. my buddy called my up that night (another lco) and said that he seen us driving down the road with a shower of sparks flying behind us ... lol oh well, live and learn. had a guy a few months ago ... we pulled up to a culdisack and had mowed it a few times b4. he must of got confused, because when he unloaded the mower, he headed to the wrong house and started cutting .... lmao. nothing like free service! ! lets see ... oh yeah, doing a landscaping job about a month ago, and i told one of the guys to wheelborrow some blocks back to the backyard where we were working. he ALMOST makes it back and dumps the whole load breaking one of the blocks ... that kinda sucked, because i had to stop working and go get another one. but hey, gotta take the good with the bad in stride, right? take care all!

Shep :blob4:

6. lawnkid

lawnkid LawnSite Senior Member

I did that about 3 weeks ago with my new Sthil HS-45. I was trimming someones hedges and I got tangled in a thick twig and I caught my left middle finger int here and it killed like a b****. Man I must have lost like 2 ounces of blood. It just wouldn't stop bleeding. Now its healed but there is stilll a lump in my finger from new skin growing over the old skin. I realized that a trimmer is not like a mower with a clutch, it kinda takes likie 7 seconds for the blades to turn off.