Be Careful This Spring

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Nate'sLawnCare, Feb 17, 2014.

1. Nate'sLawnCare

Nate'sLawnCare LawnSite Bronze Member

With all the snow we've had down here this winter, I noticed something while driving the other night. The snow plows have knocked all the road reflectors off the road into the grass. If you mow properties near main roadways, you might want to walk the road edges and pick up the reflectors the first time. I don't know what kind of damage or injury one of them could cause if it was to be hit by a mower.
  2. 360lawncare

360lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah that is a good idea for sure. I don't want to pick up one with a blade and send it flying that's for sure!
  3. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

A quick survey of all lawns adjacent to roadways at first mow is a good idea. Winter tends to put all sorts of junk into the grass.
  4. Nate'sLawnCare

You northern guys probably don't have to deal with reflectors up there. They stick them to the roads here with epoxy, but they're no match for the plows. Seems like we go through this exercise every couple of years and they wind up replacing all the reflectors come summer. I just don't like the thought of hitting a 1 inch by 3 inch by 3 inch hard plastic object with my mowers.
  5. Landrus2

Landrus2 LawnSite Platinum Member

Way to many pot holes in the roads all that black top in going to be on lawns:cry::cry::cry:
  6. mpkav

mpkav LawnSite Member

I just noticed today there are large chunks of ashalt and concrete also. The streets are like mine fields here in Indiana with all the pot holes. The plows are throwing asphalt off to the side. Surely will eat some blades up or launch through a window!
    Posted via Mobile Device
  7. Nate'sLawnCare

I'm even noticing more potholes than normal down here with the unusually cold and snowy winter we're having.
  8. Mow Mony

Mow Mony LawnSite Member
    from VA

same here. I hit two deep potholes in my wifes car in one trip earlier this week! each one was big enough that I was sure I bent the wheel. no flat tire or flat spot that I could see the next morning though thankfully. they are going to be busy fixing roads this spring
  9. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

I do this yard on side of a busy highway and there are always chunks of asphalt to pick up. I bet there are 10 time as many this Spring. The roads are in bad shape here too due to the frigid temps in December, then the snow and ice. We don't have reflectors but we do have plenty of beer bottles and cans to pick up:hammerhead: