1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

be careful what you wish for....

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Apr 14, 2005.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

now, i'm baffled. a couple yrs ago, i came up with a "commision" type offer for referels. it was a written letter, offering $20 for each referel i got. it backfired sooo bad, not only did i not get referels, it seemed to turn prospects away. i abandoned the idea. well, early this season, i landed a couple in a new area. while chatting, one of them mentioned that there were quite a few that were unhappy with the same guy in the neighborhood, constant excuses...truck broke down, help no show, whatever. i told her i give $20 for each referel that signs up for full service. SHE REFERED SIX ON HER BLOCK ALONE! that brings up my seasonal gross roughly $12,000-$14,000. now i have to cough up $120. not sure i can swing it, you know, me being poor, and having no work and all....anyhow, this is the only time my incentive offer has actually paid off. got to make that $120 up, i hope there is a sale on cat litter soon. anyone else have success offering referel incentives?
  2. David Grass

David Grass LawnSite Senior Member

I thought about it, but only to a realtor friend who sells to a lot of people in my area, I dont think I would do the customer thing.
  3. nitrotim

nitrotim LawnSite Senior Member
    from nj

I got myself into a upscale mobile home park where most of the tennenants are seniors. The intial contact person called me and I went over. He had 5 people lined up to get estimates from me. The contact person was the only person who balked at me cutting every week. So I told him every five customers he refers my way he gets a free cut. (5000 sq ft) So far he has 3 cuts coming. It worked out because seven of these mobile homes are right next to eachother with no fences. I got it all from these people. Cutting, fert, and snow removal in the winter. I think this was good deal.
  4. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

what the hell is an "upscale mobile home park?" is that like an oxy-moron or something? please don't tell me you're from south jersey
  5. David Grass

its where no "chicken art" is allowed, and people wear the latest hairstyles and fashions.
  6. David Grass

and thats NO chickens on your plates, canisters, etc.
  7. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Referrals is all we have done for 11 full time years now...not a dime in ads either.
  8. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

I have signed up 5 new customers from referrals this year.
  9. lawnranger44

lawnranger44 LawnSite Senior Member

I just can't seem to motivate my customers. I am convinced it is not a quality of work issue, and we have always offered $20 off for each referral. We even told our customers this year that we would offer April's mowings for free for the customers who made the most referrals (they had to make at least 2 to be elligible) in March and April. How many customers made referrals so far? ZERO.

So now it looks like we're going to extend the contest to include May as well, in hopes that people will get their a$$es in gear.
  10. wally world III

wally world III LawnSite Member

1st off you got paid up front $12,000 or $14,000
    aleast that what you stated
    and you can't come up with $120.00 for referrals

man you must be kinding...........

Bankrupty city here comes bobbyyyyyy sweetie pie

i just bought a gravely pm 260z, 60" cut, gas, paid cash $7,900.00 +tax
    last year bought 2 - gravely pm260z, 60" cut, diesel, paid cash

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: