1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Be Careful with gas

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by rookiemower, Aug 25, 2003.

1. rookiemower

rookiemower LawnSite Senior Member

not last tues but the one before i was cleaning an old trimmer carb in a jar of gas because i was out of carb cleaner well the jar with about 25 ounces of gas ignited instead of walking it outside (small Fire) i smacked it with a towel poured all over me i looked like a human torch i was taken to local hospital given IV and lots of morfin transfered to loyola medical center outside chicago to burn unit. 15% of body burned including all of left arm (3rd degree) face and left side of body luckly i managed to rip my shirt off and then my pants my brother in the heat of the moment had turned on the hose and put pants out i ran into my garage in my underware while my brothers and friends stood in shock while i put the tool box fire out with the hose luckly my brother has been servicing accounts im still wrapped up allittle probaly will start again this weekend just part of the sh**y summer i have had (lost liscense also):rolleyes: :angry:
  2. edrenckh

edrenckh LawnSite Member

What induced the spark?
  3. rookiemower

friend started grind when i told him not to
  4. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

I thoughts are with you and I wish you a full and speedy recovery.

5. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

That's what us firefighters/paramedics who mow on the side call job security....

Sorry to hear about the accident...I hope your recovery is speedy......
  6. GLAN

GLAN Banned

Good to see you here posting

Take care of yourself and don't rush getting back out there. You will be more sensistive to sunlight for a while.
  7. rookiemower

Glan your right i was told to avoid lots of sun or my skin pigment will become darker in the burnt spots
  8. dougmartin2003

dougmartin2003 LawnSite Senior Member

sorry to here about that. hope you get better soon
  9. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

3rd degree burns? Been there and done that. As a young kid, I was running around, tripped, and fell into an open charcoal pit and landed with both forearms in it. I know your pain.

God's speed and recovery...my prayers are with you.
  10. pinnacle

pinnacle LawnSite Senior Member

Will you heal up OK mate?
    My thoughts are with you and I hope It dosn't scar you bad.
    Look arfter yourself, OK.