Be Careful with Roundup-like Products

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by GroundKprs, Apr 4, 2003.

1. GroundKprs

GroundKprs LawnSite Bronze Member

2. KenH

KenH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Its a good way to see your spray pattern!!:eek: :eek:

3. MacKenzie

MacKenzie LawnSite Member

Ouch!!!:eek:

I guess reading the label is important afterall...

Whoda thunk it???

4. greensummer

greensummer LawnSite Member
    from canada

Massive Mistake: no excuse!

This reminds me of a mistake committed by a Chemlawn Manager, now both defunct: He had a used a Sears Lawn Care truck, retail outfit in Canada, to use on commercial sites(Round-Up) for Chemlawn. You see......... Sears & Chemlawn(Now greenspace serices) are sleeping in the same bed!

This Manager, upon his return to the shop, failed to purge the tanks and hoses of Round-up. The result was about 30 homes having burnt lawns, Sears customers:The cost to replace the damaged lawns: $40,000 CDN..................a ture story.........believe it or not!LOL! ;)

5. Meier

Meier LawnSite Senior Member
    from DFW

Yup. Glyphosphate in the lawn is a prescription for disaster.

Two winters ago, I thought the tiff Bermuda in my lawn was dormant. So, I mixed up some Roundup and spot treated the grassy weeds.

As the spring came on and the bermuda started to green up, I had about 40 little dead spots in the lawn. It looked terrible. TERRIBLE.

Tiff bermuda doesn't spread nearly as fast as common bermuda, The evidence lasted until about mid-May or say. Maybe June 1st with some of the larger spots.

Be VERY careful with glyphosphate. And I won't ever assume that bermuda in Dallas is dormant again...it may look dormant, but it might not be. If you're wrong...watch out!

For me, grassy weed treatment will just have to wait for the summer when I can use MSMA.

Later,
    DFW, TX

6. lawnstudent

lawnstudent LawnSite Senior Member

I'd fire both applicators pictured! Neither one could spray a pattern without missing significant areas.

jim