!!!!!!!be Carefull Please!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Gatewayuser, Jun 4, 2006.

1. Gatewayuser

Gatewayuser LawnSite Bronze Member

A local man was killed yesterday while mowing on a ZTR near a lake, he got to close to the edge and the mower went in the man was unable to get off in time and drowned. I was on the squad we were unable to save him he had been in for a long while. I got thrown up on in my face while doing CPR and had to have blood work done at the hospital and didn't get home until 3:00 am he had no diseases but its mandatory.
    So everyone think smart, mow careful, be-safe and STAY AWAY from hills and lakes with ZTR's.
  2. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

I took the rops off my z last week, that made it much more squirrelly on hills because of the lack of weight on the rear. After being on dry hills and sliding around I decided to put them back on.

I'll deal with being more carefull around tree's but being safe at the same time.
  3. Gatewayuser

It really makes you think about safety when you actually see the consequences in person.
  4. CutInEdge Lawn Care

CutInEdge Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

Yes, a major concern. When it's your time to go it's just your time to go. I try not to help the process any quicker. These jobs need to be bid accordingly and safety first. It's sad to hear that. Glad you checked out ok.
  5. MTR

MTR LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

Use your walk when mowing hill, wet slope and bank....get off your Z.
    I don't care how low or high is the hill or bank, as long as my Z caster wheels and drivetires start losing some grip or slide, it is time to immediately load the Z on trailer and get your walk. period.
    No question asked.
  6. Gatewayuser

Thats why I won't buy a Z they are to unstable on hills.
  7. grassmanvt

grassmanvt LawnSite Senior Member

I can't say I agree with that comment but proper training and common sense go along way.
  8. Gatewayuser

Not on all hills but I would rather be able to just step rather than get stuck if something does happen. What happens if you have the ROPS and belt on and you roll into a lake?
  9. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Hold your breath!

I guess this will be the next lawsuit that will get the ROPS removed. :hammerhead:

Know the limits of your machinery.
  10. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

what brand Z was it? One thing I do not like about many brand Z's is how you have to be in Neutral to open up the handles, on my Gravely I can open them up regardless of position.