1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

"Be your own Boss" Pkg

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by b727guru, Sep 1, 2004.

1. b727guru

b727guru LawnSite Member

A local dealer here in ATL has the following pkg for sale:
    Just back up your truck to the trailer and your ready to go!!!

*6x10 Hooper trailer
    *48" SCAG w/ 15HP kawasaki W/B with 2 wheel velke
    *STIHL Blower (BR420)
    *STIHL Edger (FC75)
    *STIHL Trimmer (FS80)

The trailer comes with racks for all the equipment mentioned above as well as the locks.

All this for $4999.00.

What da you think?
  2. Black95gt

Black95gt LawnSite Member

Id try talking them down to about 4000 and hope to get it for $4500. The price seems high, but i dont know what a skag costs, but would be very convienient.
  3. gogetter

gogetter Banned

Seems a little high to me. Even if only by a couple hundred bucks.

Keep in mind if you're just starting out, that couple hundred bucks will buy you a lot of the little extras that you WILL need.

Gas cans, a case of oil, a big spool of trimmer line, rakes, and on, and on, and on.
  4. b727guru

b727guru LawnSite Member

Thanks for your replies...

I've actually priced these items individually, and you're both right. I could save about $500 buying separately.

In fact, instead of a SCAG 48" maybe I ought to go for a 36" ExMark.

Any thoughts? I figured, that maybe with a 48" I won't be able to fit this monster through a gate.

Thanks again.
  5. gogetter

gogetter Banned

Well, ya can't go wrong with an Exmark. But let me ask you this, do you have a lot of gates in your area?

I know that 48" seems like a "monster" now, but you'll be surprised how quick you'll get use to the size.

I started with a 36" Exmark. We do have a lot of fenced in backyards around here.

After the first year I bought a 52" Snapper wb, and it seemed like a "monster" at first, but now I love having a big mower and it gets me done a lot faster. I still use the 36" in some backyards if they have a small gate.

So I'd go with the 48" if gates aren't a big issue.

By the way, I use a 5'x10' trailer that I bought new for like $700. If I remember correctly, trailers are a good bit cheaper down your way (from what I've seen on the net and ebay anyway).
    Based on the equipment you listed in that deal, it looks to me that the trailer is where the dealer was really marking up the price. The equipment should fall somehwere around $3700-$3800 range.
    That leaves the trailer at like $1200-1300.

I'm sure you can find the same size trailer for less then that, maybe even under a thousand.

Good luck. Let us know how you make out and what you decide to go with.