1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Beach combing

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by 2 man crew, Feb 22, 2002.

1. 2 man crew

2 man crew LawnSite Senior Member

I'm taking on a new property this year. It has a 40' x 150' sand beach on a lake. They want it cleaned and raked every week. I'm wondering if there is a special rake for sand beaches? By the way it has to be done by hand there is a bolder retaining wall perimeter.
    I want it to look perfect. Thanks for any help!
  2. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Try looking into getting one of those sand trap rakes they use on golf courses. I'm sure you could figure out a way of attaching it to and pulling it behind a Z.
  3. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

...that's if you can figure out a way of getting around the retaining wall.
  4. 2 man crew

How am i going to get back over the bolder wall? lol :D
  5. GLS

GLS LawnSite Bronze Member

How tall is the bouler wall?
  6. 2 man crew

Its about 3 feet, but I don't want to use ramps. Its a high- end town home complex. If they see me trying to rig some half a$$ed ramp on their bolder wall they will think Im a moron. No pontoon boat either. lol :p
  7. General Grounds

General Grounds LawnSite Senior Member

:blob3: hey 2 man how about getting yourself 2 of these drag mats they use in the seventh inning of a baseball game, it's about 4 feet wide and is light enough to be pulled by a guy. Tony
  8. 2 man crew

Ya that might work. I was thinking more like an actual rake for beaches though. Maybe some of the guys That work on the cost might be using on the "ocean side" houses. But that baseball mat might be what I should try. thanks.
  9. CSRA Landscaping

CSRA Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

I think you know what I'm talking about. I kinda like it myself. You may be able to get two of the real wide garden rakes and pull them both at the same time. Of course, knowing my nature, I'm sure there's probably a better way to do it. (I always seem to pick the hard stuff).
  10. tramahor

tramahor LawnSite Member

we used to live on a lake here in sacramento, we had a sand/beach area approx 75 yrds long and 30 wide, I would always use a grading rake. It worked well for that area and at the same time it was grooming the sand it would pull out all the weed generated by the palm trees. just my.002
    Ramirez Landscaping CO.:blob3: