Beam Test- Opinions please

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by Lite4, Sep 15, 2013.

?

Beam pattern- which do prefer on archtitecture

1. Option A- Un-lensed MR16

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Option B- Out of the Box LED 38 degree

1 vote(s)
    10.0%
  3. Option C- Lensed

9 vote(s)
    90.0%
  1. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

Well, as far as color temperature goes, that's a little bit of an unfair comparison. I would have used the 16010 AZT 27. That has a 2700°K lamp in in, which would have been a lot closer in color temperature to the other two you demo'd there. It wasn't a fair comparison, in terms of color.

They do make a frosted lens for that fixture, that is designed just for this reason - to diffuse and create a more balanced spread. Unfortunately, that lens is not available for order for another 4-6 weeks. I'm having them send me one though later this week. I'll hook it up to a 16010AZT27 and try to take a good photo of that after I get it.

I think on architecture, right out of the box, the spread on that fixture has a little sharp edges. But with the lens, hopefully that gets fixed, we'll see.

But I have had really good luck in general using the Kichler Radiax fixtures on architectural lighting. Here is a good example of one we did using the Kichler Radiax 16001AZT27 fixtures:

[​IMG]

http://www.lawnsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=275949&stc=1&d=1374558961

2. JimLewis

Here's another photo from a better angle, where you can see the edges better on the light that is closest, on the left. I thought it looked pretty nice.

[​IMG]

3. Lite4

Lite4 LawnSite Gold Member

HI Jim,

Perhaps you didn't read my entire initial thread. I had said to disregard anything but the beam spread. I know the color doesn't match, but that is not what I was posting about.

I will see if I can order the lens once it is available and re-test. I wonder why they didn't make a diffusion lens for this fixture initially? Certainly they had to know it had some harsh beam optics?

4. JimLewis