Bearing play

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by Hookset, Oct 14, 2002.

1. Hookset

Hookset LawnSite Member

I've had trouble getting a perfect cut out of my 60inch Lazer since May. No one has found what the problem is yet. My warrenty runs out soon. I would like to know what exmark is prepared to do? My dealer has replaced bearings on the spindle on more than one occassion. My understand was that the whole spindle should have been replaced to alivate any problems. I have play in one of the spindles and I've had this play every since the bearings were replaced. How much is to much play in this area and could it be the housing worn out instead of the bearing causing this play? I would think that any play when it comes to bearings is to much.

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Hookset,

Thanks for the post. What are we prepared to do? That is a very good question but one I’m not real sure I can answer. Truth is there’s really not a lot we’re not prepared to do, with in reason anyway. Unfortunately I can not recall what your quality of cut issue is at this time. Your dealer will need to inspect the bearings to determine if they are in need of replacement. We do prefer that the bearings and housing are replaced as a unit but that does not always happen, often for very good reason. We believe we can probably do a better job ensuring that the bearings are pressed into the housings properly. If my dealer did not have the housing with bearings for my machine in stock but had the bearings I would take those rather than incur more down time waiting on parts. That kinda depends on the time of year however.

A couple of things you could help out with that might help speed things along a little bit. First e-mail me with the name of your dealer. Second I'll need to know the serial number of your unit. Third I'll need to know what kind of problems you’re seeing with the cut of your machine. Fourth I'll need to know how you’re checking for play in the bearing (at the pulley or at the blade, belt on or off). Fifth, I'll need to know if there are any other issues your seeing that may help us diagnose one of the problems your seeing or find something else before it becomes a bigger issue down the road. As long as we are having the dealer look at the machine we may as well cover as much territory as possible.

With that information we can get with your dealer and figure out what is going on with your machine.

Thanks for your assistance

Terry

3. Hookset

Hookset LawnSite Member

You've spoken to my dealer before about this problem. Ferrells Home and Outdoor in Corinth Ms. I will contact my dealer and you guys can work it out. It still cuts better than most other brands, but at one time it gave a perfect cut. I just want you to know I have an on going problem incase it runs past my 1st years warrenty.

4. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Hookset,

Please give me a few details on what doesn't look right with the cut. I just got off the phone with Brian and it might be beneficial if you give him a call as well and let him know what your seeing. We may need to ask Brian to visit one of the job sights your having an issue with as well.

Thanks

Terry