bearings on front casters?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ojonesy, Mar 17, 2003.

1. ojonesy

ojonesy LawnSite Member

Help. How long do/should the bearings last on the front casters on the zero turns - 13x500x6 smooth tires? I have scag and exmarks with ball and tapered bearings. Should they last more than one season if greased properly? Do dealers warranty them for premature failure? Need your advice. Thanks.

2. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

Mine were still going strong at 1000 plus hours when I sold the mower.

3. Never had to replace a set yet on Exmarks, However on the DC's about every 2 years, due to seal failure and design.

4. Alan Bechard

Alan Bechard LawnSite Member

Lost a front wheel bearing set on my Lazer last year, right at one year of use, just inside warranty, just coming due for service by the Exmark schedule.

I think it is insane that they do not make them zerk fitting greasable with a seal to let the excess bleed out. I think that is an instance where a "improvement" maybe is not quite that.

I have to redo them this week or so in preparation for this year, wish I could just fire up the grease gun and purge them that way, I have a feeling when I am done, it will have Zerk's installed and a spacer to take up some of the air / grease space.

Al B