Beat the Heat, what I did and your suggestions

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by sehitchman, Jun 20, 2010.

1. sehitchman

sehitchman LawnSite Senior Member

Circumstances resulted in no help this weekend and a full schedule. Temps were in the high 90's and the humidity was at max.
    Things I did to assist.
    1. Big cooler with ice water , drank drank drank, zero adult beverage the night before and no sodas that day.
    2. Kept two chamois (synthetic ones) in a cooler with ice and water, alternated one around the neck and used the other one to wipe down at equipment changes. The quick evaporation seemed like it really helped
    3. Frozen grapes & frozen bananas
    4. Altered the schedule, so a couple of yards with shade were done from 11-3
    5. Started at exactly 8 and really slowed the pace when the temps got up.
    6. Big straw hat and sunscreen.
    7. Flexable ice pack, in key areas during drive times.

Anyone want to share their tricks?

2. Think Green

Think Green LawnSite Silver Member

We do not wear sunscreen...................it gets into our eyes.
    Other than that, you are on the path for longevity and endurance. Don't eat heavy meals at lunch time either. Eat moderately, staying away from spicey foods, caffeine products, coffee, and tea.
    I have a tendency to rub my eyes from time to time.........that is why I don't wear sunscreen. After 19 years out here in the heat. It is all in the mind and you can over come the weather. Stay focused on the work and take breaks............don't care about the time clock at times. If you push yourself or your employees too hard you will get heat stress or stroke. Wear loose clothing and breathable hats. NO DARK COLORS--Sorry for those that follow the Gothic wear. It don't float on our crew.

3. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

gatorade cut 50% with h20. mens dress shirt vs tshirt

4. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

every year we see more and more guys pulling trailers with equipment on it. NEW stuff.

when it gets hot for some reason we dont see these guys anymore.

outside work is NOT for everyone.

5. MikeKle

MikeKle LawnSite Platinum Member

When I went out yesterday, I had a couple customers that were surprised I was even out mowing, and told me when its this hot, I really shouldnt be out, and they wouldnt what me to collapse on their property!

6. M.M.A. Mowing

M.M.A. Mowing LawnSite Member

I just drink about 15 gatorades and plenty of h2o, keeps me sweating like a pig which keeps me cool, also I try to avoid ac in the truck between yards, cold then hot makes me feel bad.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. biggziff

biggziff LawnSite Member

I don't know if you're familiar with Phase Change Material or not, but this stuff has been around for a while and is widely used by folks working in serious heat/cold climates with great success. For hot temps you "Charge" the material (usually in ice water for 20 minutes) and then put it on. It will keep you cool for hours in 100 degree temps. There are several vendors, but here's a sample:

http://www.glaciertek.com/RPCM_Cooling_Vest/Work.aspx

http://www.texascoolvest.com/techinfo.html

8. sehitchman

sehitchman LawnSite Senior Member

Gatoraid is good, but I also cut it with water. It seems to give me a stomach ache if I drink to much of it. Anyone wear under armor? I found it stays much drier than a T shirt, but I do get some nipple abrasion from under armor :(. As for the new guys pulling trailers, I don't think I saw more than one or two Saturday, where in the past there were several at each intersection. I'm at max with accounts, had a couple neighbors of my accounts ask for one time cuts this week, I'm sure it was the heat. I passed on their number to a start up LCO friend of mine. Times are very good these days, what started out as a light year turned into a great year as soon as it got hot!

9. Hawg City Lawns

Hawg City Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

with about 15 minutes left on the yard i run over to the truck and start it up and crank the air then its nice and cool when i get in

10. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

Hats, water. I also cut the toes off my socks and put them on my arms, like a 2 foot wrist band. Arms use to sweat and feel like crap on the arm rest. Now they stay dry, out of the sun, and I feel better