beat the heat

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lugnut#6, Jun 30, 2003.

1. lugnut#6

lugnut#6 LawnSite Senior Member

how do yall deal with the rising temps of summer?

i keep a wet towel in an ice chest and wrap it around my neck to cool the blood flow to the brain.
    anyone else have any tricks?
    lets play: "beat the heat"

2. eddy13

eddy13 LawnSite Member

turn on the ac....lol

3. battags

battags LawnSite Senior Member

Drink LOTS of water....You'll be fine.

4. lawncare3

lawncare3 LawnSite Bronze Member

I use something called a Misty Mate It works real good when I use to bp to dry myself off. It's like a/c that works 100x faster. The best purchase for $13- @ walmart EVER. ;) Try it and u can't deny it. :)

5. HarryD

HarryD LawnSite Bronze Member

I crank up the AC between jobs

6. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

Just make sure you drink plenty of fluids and don't wait until you are thirsty to start drinking water. AC does help quite a bit.

Gravely_Man

7. Mike Bradbury

Mike Bradbury LawnSite Senior Member

Wickable fabrics sure make it more pleasent. Drystar, CoolMax, others, new synthetic fiber shirts and hats, they pull the sweat away from your body where it evaporates much more quickly. Shirt drys quickly after soaking. None of that nasty clingy cotton feel after a few hours. WallyWorld carries Starter brand wickables for less than $10. Coolmax is the best, feels like cotton, can get them at Sierra.com or Campmor on sale for 7-8.00 pretty frequently. Even if you just wear one under a uni shirt, it makes a BIG difference. If there is a breeze or moving air (like riding a bike), I will stay dry, where I would be soaked through with cotton.
    My normal bike ride I would soak my T to my navel. WIth a wickable I might have a little ring around the collar of wetness. Amazing stuff.
    Keep the sun off your head and neck, a wetted do-rag and a wickable shirt and I'm a happy boy (well, relatively)

8. Live4Mowin'

Live4Mowin' LawnSite Member

Same here

9. Dan1944

Dan1944 LawnSite Member

Water and more water, I carry a 12 pack cooler filled with 16 oz. plastic water bottles and all the ice I can cram in there, it gets the water so cold that I'm afraid my teeth will crack sometimes. I use to drink Gator Aid, but have found plain ole water is more refreshing and cheaper. 24 pack of bottles at Sam's club (Sam's choice) about 5 bucks.

10. Gr grass n Hi tides

Gr grass n Hi tides LawnSite Bronze Member

My polos are cotton (light weight). No doubt part of my problem. I do force fluids, don't wait until I'm thirsty.