Beat This Scalping!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Darryl G, Jul 10, 2003.

1. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

I'll bet you guys can't beat this scalping. This is on one of my nicest accounts.

machinedamage.jpg

2. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

:eek: What happened?

3. bastalker

bastalker LawnSite Senior Member

Hey Darryl, bet if you reseed that area with bout 25 lbs of seed....straw it real good, then run over it with the rider bout 3-4 times....it will come in nice!:D

4. Darryl G

Bastalker - Guess I did it wrong then...I just threw down a handfull of seed and spit on it.:(

5. Darryl G

DLCS - I can't say for sure what happened, but I'm sure it's one of the reasons that the homeowners looked for another LCO this year and hired me. He had been doing the lawn for several years.

Looks to me like the guy was cutting straight up and down on the hill and scalped there....REPEATEDLY. The steepest and part and sharpest crest is where you see the damage.

There were also hundreds of divots all over the place. I think that's what the bare spots are that you can see near the curb. The place is slowly shaping up. I've got grass growing where the big scalped spot is (it's seeded in the picture) but it's not doing very well...to far away to water.

I was expecting you guys to jump all over me and tell me what a jerk I was for causing that kind of damage.

6. Them Bluegrass stalons should have filled that back in.

Must of been disease or something else I doubt it was because it was scalped. Might even be salt damage.

7. fblandscape

fblandscape Banned

I can see a lot of salt damage out by the road. Have you aerated this lawn yet? What about where you seeded? Did you loosen the soil up really well first?

Oh, and it is stolons, not stalons.

8. Cooper Landscaping

Cooper Landscaping LawnSite Member

Darryl-
    Im going to have to agree with FBLandscape and LGF. The first thing i thought of when i saw that picture was salt damage. Many of the lawns in my area of CT get nailed with the salt from the winter and the grass doesnt grow within about a 1 foot of the road at all and in some spots further back. But LGF might be right about the disease becuase that dead spot doesnt continue for the whole length of the lawn.

-Coop

9. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Could very well be a combination of several factors...winter salt damage, disease, and scalping. Though I don't see any scalping damage in the far end of the picture.

10. The Lawn Boy Pro

The Lawn Boy Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

If you look closely at the bottom of the pic, it looks like a bunch of dog fir! Maybe its one of those wireless dog shock collars or something and since a bunch of cars come there, the dog runs around out there.