1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Beatin' the heat!!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Vibe Ray, Feb 12, 2001.

1. Vibe Ray

Vibe Ray LawnSite Senior Member

What do you guys do to beat the heat??? We gotta get ready for it ya know! I can handle it fine, just wonderin' some tips you have learned over time to help cool you off!
  2. LoneStarLawn

LoneStarLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Make sure that AC is working good.....and plenty of water (gatorade and others can make you sick in very hot weather)
  3. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

I wear 100% cotton, light colors and never red.

keep the shirt on. always....

I never leave the house without cool water (never even to fish if I get the chance).

I do the sports drinks on the hotter days in addition to water.

I always wear a hat. the best kind is a straw broad brim. unfortunately, however, you look like a hayseed wearing one.

4. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I go to Sam's and get the big box of gatorade mix. When it gets 95+ (which is usually 2.5 mths) I will wet a towel and put on my neck. I also have a remote start on my truck, so when I'm within 2 minutes of getting in I start it up and have the a/c already going. :cool:
  5. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Don't get me wrong. A/C is a must in our other vehicles, BUT not in our work truck. No way. In and out of the cold into very hot tempatures would not make me feel good.

Not much you can do on really hot days except staying well hydrated.
  6. dhenegar

dhenegar LawnSite Member

I always keep ice in my cooler and soak my baseball cap with cold water everytime we get to another lawn. This seems to work pretty good, and like everyone else say keep plenty of water.
  7. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

Jodi, come down south and work a few 100+ degree days with high humidity and your will welcome the a/c! Any break is better than none. As for me 100% cotton shirts, water, dark tinted windows & a/c, and a hat.
  8. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

Where i can I try to get as much as I can done
    before noon.I aim at the hardest stuff early.
    Also purposefully try to set a slow steady pace
    with planned breaks in 90 and above.Your body
    will slow down anyway so doing it on purpose
    helps you get more work done safer.
    Like cotton buttun shirt so i can unbutton
    if Im overheating.
    Ive always used billed cap but im going to try
    geoguns idea .Im three quarters hayseed anyway.
    You young fellas may not know this but the
    fist sighn of age is loosing the ability to
    handle heat.Im not sure why but it happened to me.
  9. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

Well, not that it gets hot down here.LOL. I have a/c in my truck, but never run it while I working. I would think that getting in and out of a cold truck all day would not be good for you. I just drink plenty of h2o and take breaks. Were self employed, we can work at OUR own pace. The good thing is it helps me sweat off some of my winter fat.
  10. Your better off with a 50-50 cotton/poly blend.

I like the Jerzees brand best. They wear forever, dry faster, and don't shrink at every wash.

Plus they are made in the usa in alexander city, Al
    YEE HA!!