1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

beating a dead horse... I need a zero turn... help me

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by OKIE LAWNS, Jun 17, 2010.

OKIE LAWNS LawnSite Member

Guys, i mow mostly residential lawns and do some spraying. I live on 10 acres and have about 1-1/2 acres cleared out that gets mowed. I am hoping to pick up a couple of riding mower jobs next year.

I can't quite justify spending the money on a commercial zero turn.. What would be a good... or decent residential zero turn if i am only going to spend under 3k?

any help appreciated.
  2. TheC-Master

TheC-Master LawnSite Senior Member

It wouldn't be recommended because you'll grow and it won't last with you, choose a used commercial with light hours or maybe a demoed one. That would be the better way to go.
  3. Trevor8

Trevor8 LawnSite Senior Member
    from IA

your best bet would be a snapper pro they are only around 5,000 for a commercial ztr
  4. 81Bronk36

81Bronk36 LawnSite Member

get something used in your price range
  5. LandscapemanFL

LandscapemanFL LawnSite Member

Best bet is finding a good used commercial unit.

MS_SURVEYOR LawnSite Bronze Member

You have the correct and best advice about getting a commercial mower. I know it's a lot of money up front. But the good men are trying to save you even more money in the long haul. A commercial mower will last 5 to 10 times longer than a good... or decent residential mower. A 500 hours residential mower to a 2,000 hour commercial mower. I was in the same boat last year. I went commercial for my 5 acres. I'm looking out the window waiting for the grass to grow. I went from 250 hours a year mowing my grass to less than 50 hours this past year. Now that's a BIG difference.

wow that is amazing!

What about a cub cadet z-force 50" that has around 200 hours, and looks like in great shape? I found one in my price range, but not sure about the cub?

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

What about a walk with a velkey? Last forever, much cheaper, and if you grow and really need a Z you will than have the jobs to support it.
  9. BINKY1902

BINKY1902 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from South

If you must buy a residential mower I would recommend the Ariens or Gravely heavy duty residential mowers. They have commercial features, and have a heavy duty deck for a residential.

what about the z-force i listed above? it is commercial?