Beautification Awards

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by HOMER, May 13, 2001.

1. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

Our fair City has an committee that gives out an award to businesses that have great looking landscapes and/or have done some renovations to improve the appearance of the business. I was wondering how many others have something like this in their towns. Since I've been in business I have had 5 of my accounts win the award. They don't mention the guy who maintains it in the paper, only the business, so it doesn't give you much exposure to the public but it is a form of gratification when you see "your" account in the paper. All the competition knows it too! They leave the sign up in frt of the business for 3 months until they vote another one in. I'm working real hard to get another one at one of my restaraunts, I think this may be what motivates me this year,,,,,,,,,,,,,as well as just wanting to do good work of course.

2. KD'sLawns

KD'sLawns LawnSite Member

In our area, we have the residential yard of the week. Which commends people for taking such good care of their lawns. I have received this award for my own lawn twice in the past three years. Last year they didn't do it at all. Last year is when I started my business. So it kind of stinks. I guess they quit doing this.

3. HOMER

They used to do residentials here a few years ago but quit. I guess it was easier to just do businesses. Mine wouldn't win anyway, you need water to make it grow!

4. KD'sLawns

I think that it is a conspiracy against me. One of the ladies that is on the beautification committee has a son that is a LCO and she knows that he wouldn't get the award so she is the one that probably did away with it. Homer, surely you water your own lawn?

5. HOMER

I'm on a well and as much as I would love to water the grass I hesitate too. Many wells dried up here last year and I don't need that expense or hassle. My yard is also over 40,000. sq ft. so it would take a lot of water! When I had a smaller yard I did water religously, believe me it hurts to look out and see what I see!:(

6. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

water religiously

:angel: Reverend Homers Holy Water!

Get your lawn baptised today, alleluia.
    That's the way to go. Holy water for your lawn. I can see a nationwide trend coming. Can I be your first distributor. Mayby I can be the first high priest of Homies Healing Touch Holy Water. From the roots to the crowns nothing makes your lawn greener.:angel:

7. KD'sLawns

Homer, I do understand where you are coming from about the wells drying up. If you can't keep your own yard beautiful, you are doing the next best thing; keeping everyone elses yard beautiful! I take it that you live out of the city limits?

8. We have both Residential and Commercial beautification awards for yard of the month. I've never won one even though my neighbor did and mine was much more colorful and tasteful than hers. Still looking to get it though, worked on the yard all weekend, mulching planting flowers and such. Might be a political click though, may have to find out who to get in touch with to put in a good word for my yard. I always get lots of compliments on how much better my yard looks than any of my neighbors. Just keep hoping to get that little sign and chromed spading fork in the front yard, and my picture in the local paper for the "Yard of the Month".

9. KD'sLawns

Well I hope that you get the award also. It is good to see people still care. I think that it is harder to get the award if you have a lawn care company because people think others did the work in your yard.