Becoming a business?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Howie's Lawn Care, Jun 17, 2005.

1. Howie's Lawn Care

Howie's Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

What do I have to do to be a legal business as far as insurance and taxes? I'm sixteen, so I haven't worried about taxes up to this point. I'd like to advertise on a larger scale next year and would like to be legitimate. Thanks.

2. Metro Lawn

Metro Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

Being only 16 does not make you exempt from taxes. If nothing else, it could be considered extra income against your parents' taxes.

3. GreenGrassEarnsCash

GreenGrassEarnsCash LawnSite Member

Im turning 16 as well and would like some info on this topic. Come on veteran pros! help us out!

4. Thirdpete

Thirdpete LawnSite Member
    from Chicago

call around for insurance, get your fert license from your state, get a DBA form from your county and open a bank account.

5. ChadA

ChadA LawnSite Senior Member

I think you must be at least 18 to have a business license. Check with your local court. Good luck.

6. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

Being legitimate has many level.

So far you qualify in the first category. Desire to do so.

Next you need to figure out what kind of corporate structure you want to use. Sole prop, LLC, S corp or C corp. This will affect a lot of other things. Use a paralegal to set up your corp (most likely LLC) BIG HINT.

Then you need to do the paperwork to become whatever you chose. Get a name for the business, then go and get the appropriate license from the county and/or town you work in.

With your business paperwork and license go and get insurance.

If your state requires sales tax, then talk to the taxing agency about setting up an account.

Get a system for keeping track of income (and taxes if needed) as well as expenses.

Go looking for a sympathetic accountant who will help you out come income tax time.

Those are the basics for becoming legit. The best way to start building credit and respectability for your business.