Becoming Insured?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by pattytastik, Jul 7, 2011.

1. pattytastik

pattytastik LawnSite Senior Member

So I have been mowing lawns for the last 4 years, and it is getting to the point where it is no longer just a few lawns and some extra pocket money, but a fairly large business (almost 50 lawns). I am 16 and I do not plan on continuing this business after high school. How much do you think it would cost to insure this kind of a business.

Thanks!

2. MOturkey

MOturkey LawnSite Silver Member

All you really need is liability insurance, as your equipment probably isn't worth enough to warrant the expense for coverage. Liabilty would probably run you around $400 a year, but I'm not sure you can get coverage at 17. Might have to get it in your folks' name, but an insurance agent can explain all that to you.

3. pinto n mwr

pinto n mwr LawnSite Senior Member
    from gr8, mn

ahhh, the youth these days! 50 accounts, 16 yrs old, no plans to continue after high school. If it was me I would figure out a way to go to college, keep the 50 accounts, get your degree, and continue on. 50 accounts and only 16....

4. pattytastik

Ok that sounds fair enough. The problem with that is I really don't want my parents to be involved with my insurance because If a law suit occurs, I do not want my parent's assets to be involved.

5. pattytastik

I don't plan on doing this kind of work post-college. If i planned on staying in this line of work, that is exactly what I would do.

6. pinto n mwr

pinto n mwr LawnSite Senior Member
    from gr8, mn

sorry, I was venting on my earlier life decisions...

7. pattytastik

haha no problem. Did you go to college?

8. superdog1

superdog1 LawnSite Member

Your parents are already involved. Since you are a minor, they are responsible for your actions until you are 18. If you are sued tomorrow, mom and dad will be named in the lawsuit right along with you. You would be doing yourself and your parents a great big favor by getting insurance.:)

9. Penncare

Penncare LawnSite Member

When you head off to college you can sell the accounts or just hire a friend who is still in HS to run it for you and keep a little pocket money going. Small businesses drive the economy and passing that business on or keeping it going is a service to you and others. Need more youth like you.