becoming "legal" in this industry

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by GracesLandscaping, Feb 25, 2009.

1. GracesLandscaping

GracesLandscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Hello, i am needing some advice on this branch of lawn care (probably a stupid question) I keep seeing people talk about "you better watch out with ferts or you'll get fined if you arent liscenced" do you have to have some special liscence to spread fert? i do not do much fert at all maybe 2 yards other than mine and my parents but i have been wanting to push it a little more because the actuall weed and fert companys here SUCK. they load the yards up with nitrogen in the spring causing them to grow like crazy but then they get burnt to hell because off too much N... any help appreciated. and just for the record i am a liscenced business

2. tombo82685

tombo82685 LawnSite Senior Member

no their is no license for fertilizer apps or what not. The only thing i can think of where you would get in trouble is if your over applying the fertilizers like exceeding rates. Also if you are clumsy with the fertilizer. For example spilling it on sidewalks or streets. If you do this clean it up, because that will just wash into streams and creeks and the rest is history.

3. Rhizomatous

Rhizomatous LawnSite Member
    from Ma

I would make sure none of the ferts you buy though have any types of pesticide in them a scotts weed and feed would be technically against the law if you are applying for hire

4. tlg

tlg LawnSite Senior Member

Spreading granular fertilizer only in most cases and most states would not require a license. It's when you start spreading fertilizer with pesticides that a applicator license may be needed as well as a business license to apply any pesticides . The question you need to ask yourself is: AM I APPLYING PESTICIDES FOR HIRE???

By the way if your applying granular weed and feed you need to be licensed. I can't tell you how many times I have heard people say they don't because they don't spray. A pesticide is a pesticide no matter what form it's in.

Hope this helps you.

5. tombo82685

thats a pretty interesting point you have their,I never thought of it like that. Im curious as to why stores like home depot, lowes, etc sell them then. Its illegal to apply pesticides without a license. So why put it out their, when they know people without licenses are going to apply them.

6. Rhizomatous

from Ma

well, thats designed for homeowners...Its perfectly ok for joe homeowner to put whatever he wants on his property without a liscense...but...he cant go next door and charge his neighbor 20 bucks to spread it on his lawn...the law only pertains to those applying for hire

7. tombo82685

But I bet landscaping companies who do not have a spraying license do go from house to house and applying these products. I think they crackdown more on the chemicals that can be extrememly harmful to people. This is why you dont see daconil,tartan, acclaim,etc on the market do to their LD and LC. You could almost deem a lot of products as a pesticide. For instance lemon flavor soap could be considered a pesticide since it kills leaf sucking insects.

8. Rhizomatous

from Ma

oh absolutely i know plenty of people who do that...im getting my license this spring so im hoping to take over the fert part of their businesses. Kind of ironic you asked this question. Im currently at UMass amherst taking turf and im taking this pesticide license prep class and that was one of the discussions we had with companies applying illegally

9. lawnfreak09

lawnfreak09 LawnSite Member

there are agents out there checking license i got checked because i had a spreader in the back of my truck

10. GracesLandscaping

GracesLandscaping LawnSite Senior Member

ok this is what i thought.. because i have a pesticide applicators liscence BUT i cannot do it for profit... basically its just for personal use (had to get it for a class) but it would be perfectly legal for me to spread reagular fertilizer such as 10-10-10 or whatever as a part of my business correct? also what kind of liscence do you need to spray herbicides?