Becoming Service Technician

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by True Cut Lawn Maintenance, Oct 5, 2006.

1. True Cut Lawn Maintenance

True Cut Lawn Maintenance LawnSite Senior Member

Where is the best place to start to become a service tech??

2. MowerMedic77

MowerMedic77 LawnSite Bronze Member

Do you have any mechanical experience? Do you have your own tools? If you have both of these and you can pass a drug test then just about any shop will hire someone willing to work, most will also train you in areas that you may be weak. The problem is that this industry has a very serious shortage of good techs. You may have to start at the bottom doing grunt work and the crap jobs the other techs will hand off on you. Getting your hands dirty is the best experience. I was going to school to be an auto mechanic when I was in High School and started fixing equipment after school at a shop( I never left :) ) I was lucky to have a couple of very good techs that were willing to help me learn.

3. True Cut Lawn Maintenance

Have my own tools, need a few more tho. Have enough money saved back for a dedicated tools chest and tool set. I took a 18 week small engine class in high school based on the FFA Small engines conest rebuilt small briggs engines over and over. also worked on a few mowers and couple of old Deeres. I repair my own equipment for the most part, (when its under warrenty i dont touch it)

4. MowerMedic77

You own a lawn business and now you want to repair equipment?

5. True Cut Lawn Maintenance

Tired of the BS by customers, i need a stable income year round just not during the summer.

6. MowerMedic77

Well I can tell you the BS from customers never goes away, that will depend on the shop some allow customers to talk to the techs and other do not I have worked in both settings. Starting out will not be great money most shops will want to low ball you based on your experience but go in strong with a $ amount you need to make and see if they will work with you.
    Check this link http://www.bls.gov/oco/ocos198.htm

7. DJL50

DJL50 LawnSite Senior Member

You think its bad cutting grass. Wait till you tell a customer his bent crank on a new 19HP Kaw is not covered under warranty and hand him a bill. Been there, done that.

8. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

Drought affects more than just the LCO out there cutting. Going in at a place that already has techs, you'll be the low man on the totem pole and the first to be let go when nothings coming in to keep everybody busy.

9. True Cut Lawn Maintenance

my goal was to become a john deere tech, but i can not find a dealer to sponsor me in the immeadiate area. Masonry isnt for me and i need out NOW

10. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

I got to agree with the above, The only thing that keeps me busy in the off season is we are a contractor's equipment rental store, Lawn and garden equipment/ ATV dealership.