Becomming a Buisness!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by FenderEH, Apr 10, 2002.

1. FenderEH

FenderEH LawnSite Member
    from PA

:blob3:

Hi,
    I am 19 yr old college student. I have been doing basic lawn care part time for some extra cash for the past 4 years or so.
    I do a good number of lawns around the neighborhood. I was thinking about trying it full time in the spring and summer months.
    What does it take ? I dont know anything about the insurance or legality of things ?

Can someone fill me in on what it takes to become commercial?

Thanks
    Brian

2. BAMARED

BAMARED LawnSite Member

Brian,

The best thing to do is to spend sometime using the "Search" feature that this site offers to answer alot of your basic questions. That's what I did in the beginning and I learned much from it.

Good luck with your idea,

BAMARED

3. MuskTurfKing

MuskTurfKing LawnSite Senior Member

I agree, you can find hours and hours of info using the search. Get you some insurance and talk with an accoutant, he will be the best to make sure you got everything right.

Hank

4. proline32

proline32 LawnSite Senior Member
    from 98383

You also will need to obtain a business license with your state and many times they offer info that will help you on the right track.....Also, try to find an accountant that works with other LCO's as clients and can set you up properly as to operating your business.

5. Brickman

Brickman LawnSite Bronze Member

You won't believe this but I cannot get a license from either the city or state for maint. As long as that is all I do, no license is possible to get. If I do new install for sprinklers or sod or trees then I would need one. Or tree trimming I would then too. I have tried several times a couple of years apart.

If you really want to go big, get your name in the yellow pages asap. I did that after struggling for 3 years and things really took off. Insurance is a great peace of mind. Some times it is a selling point as well.
    Make sure to buy as good of contractor grade equipment as you can afford. Not only will your headaches be less with it, but if you ever want to sell, resale will be possible. With homeowner quality your resale will be very low.

6. FenderEH

FenderEH LawnSite Member
    from PA

Brickman! What state are you from ? Do you know if its the same for most citys and states ?

How Do I get insurance quotes ?

Thanks in advance

7. Brickman

Brickman LawnSite Bronze Member

I live in Wyoming, it is a low population state, and things are done differently here than states with high population.

As for insurance ask around, find out who other contractors use. They don't even have to be lawn guys. Look in the phone book for business insurance and start calling.
    My insurance for a year includes my truck which is a 2000 F 250, is around $1800. The truck is $850, so that leaves the rest for the one million liability insurance I have for lawn work.