1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Bed areas with Mulch and Pine Needles

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by 101 Lawn Care, Jun 19, 2008.

1. 101 Lawn Care

101 Lawn Care LawnSite Member

Quick question for you guys. Do you bury your wires in bed areas or just cover with mulch or pine needles?

2. CALandscapes

CALandscapes LawnSite Senior Member

I've seen it done both ways.

3. TXNSLighting

TXNSLighting LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

Youve see it wrong then. Never bury under the mulch!! Thats just bad. always bury in the ground.

4. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

Ryan is right. Rake back the straw or mulch then bury. If done with care no one will know you been there.

Also a good idea is to route wires away from seasonal planting areas where possible and go extra deep or use a piece of steel pipie to protect wires at bed edges where they are most likley to get cut.

5. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

rake back mulch, take pick and drag small trench or use stick edger for dirt, or flat spade- plunge and wiggle. the reality is the first guy that tries to plant a bush in the beds will take a regular shovel, jump on it with both feet, and cut the wire. unless you bury 12-14 inches deep, which nobody does, your wire is really only as safe as the guy coming behind you. so I try to route wires right next to the foundation or right on the edge of the beds ( unless they are maintenance "dug" edges ) and straight to fixtures. Lot's less likely to have folks digging there.

6. TXNSLighting

TXNSLighting LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

I always try to run by the edge with my wire, and yes, get it as deep as possible. landscapers dont care about your wires...