Bed edger problem

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by vaacutabove, Oct 19, 2012.

1. vaacutabove

vaacutabove LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a brown be d edger with a honda on it. It starts and runs great till it hits dirt and boggs down bad. Any idead i will be replacing belts this week end.
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. dutch1

dutch1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Jayhawk

Assuming that everything else is up to snuff(air filter, plug, reasonably fresh fuel), I'd say you have a partially obstructed main jet--but that's just me.

3. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

Did it just start doing this?

4. vaacutabove

White not sure bought it like this earlier this year for im hoping was well worth the price. New oil filter and fuel will try the jets this week.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. White Gardens

OK, here's what I'm thinking.

If it's not the motor.

The bit on a Brown Bed Edger is pretty big in relation to the size of the motor.

If your not easy with it, you'll surely bog it down or kill it.

Push the unit up before engaging the blade. After you do, ease it down until the wheels are flat on the ground.

Then, when you start to pull it, you have to go super easy and let the machine do the work. In super hard ground it will be even slower yet.

If you start pulling too hard, you'll really bog down the motor. Just got to take your time.

If that doesn't help, then I would then start looking at the motor and trying to figure where the power loss is coming from.

6. dutch1

dutch1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Jayhawk

Certainly a valid point, White. At the time I posted I was not aware that the unit was new to the OP. You are correct, the Brown/5HPHonda combo is not a high volume machine, particularly in compact soil conditions.

7. vaacutabove

Its the one with an 8 hp motor i have rented them before and they did great. This week i will be breaking down some other stuff so ill let yall k ow what I find.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. White Gardens

Sounds like you have some experience with them then. Might end up being a motor problem then.

9. vaacutabove

The only thing i have done is used one in the past but this was a good deal. So its all new to me to.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. White Gardens

Even I feel the 8hp motor is a shade under-powered for the unit.

But, then again, it's a bed edger, it takes a big bite regardless. Even if you had a 10hp+ motor on it, it would probably still struggle.

Vaacutabove, look at the blade depth also. If it's set all the way down, it will definitively struggle, especially in bad soil.