Bed edger question.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by KenH, May 15, 2003.

1. KenH

KenH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

I am ready to break down and buy a bed edger, possibly a Turfco. Do those who use them find they cut alot of sprinkler/electrical/dog fence lines??? Thanks

2. hnter

hnter LawnSite Member

i have no experience with a turfco product, but the brown bededger will cut essentially whatever it hits...by the time you realize you've hit something it is too late, so you'll need to know what is where before you start the machine...and having said that, being certain of 'what is where' is sometimes hit and miss...or, more likely, hit and fix...anyway, point is, be careful...

3. conepile

conepile LawnSite Member

HNTR is right. These cut through anything, and the first indication that you cut something like a wire is that it is cut and sticking up. Tree roots seem to be the only thing that slows it down. I rarely cut things I don't mean to cut anymore. It's a great tool and timesaver.

It is always important to know where things are buried for obvious reasons. I always hand-dig the edge when I'm near marked areas or near sprinkler heads (in case the swing pipe is shallow). Still, I have cut through homeowner-added invisible fence, swing pipe, unmarked sprinkler heads, and television cable (unmarked by the utility, AFTER they marked the property- they missed it).

Always use the "Call before you dig" underground utility marking services funded by the local utilities.

4. KenH

KenH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

I think my biggest concern is the dog fence. It is never buried too deep.

5. Well after about 4 months of looking at what was available and not being able to make up my mind, i just picked up my new ez-trencher today.
    It seemed to be the best for what i needed, the bedshaper was nice but pricey and had its down side and the brown was more stable then the ez-trencher but the turning radius was not tight enough, it would be good for straight and most bed curves but would not work for cutting new tree bases.
    Overall i dont care for any of whats on the market since salsco stop production on their hydro edger, but the ez will do for now.

Steve :cool:

6. conepile

conepile LawnSite Member

You're right about stability. I found the most sensible thing to do was to shut it of when moving from one bed to another, even if I'm only moving twenty feet across turf. I gouged turf a few times when I didn't mean to. One other point: there is an oil level switch that will shut the unit off if the oil gets "low", due to the unit being on a slope. So, if you are on an angle, tilted too much to the right side (as you're pullling it), it may shut down to protect itself from potential low/no flow of oil. I think the switch is too sensitve, but ask your dealer about it.