Bed Edger

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by justinL110, Jan 21, 2007.

1. justinL110

justinL110 LawnSite Member

I am lookin into purchasing a bed edger, but for one I am not certain on which one to get. I was also wondering if they made one that would edge around sidewalks for lawn service as well. It is virtually the same concept. Please help. Thank You!

2. Turfco Tim

Turfco Tim LawnSite Member

Turfco makes the Edge-R-Rite II, which is a multi-use edger. There are 5 blades available that change in seconds. You can edge side walks, re-shape beds, edge tree rings and cut edges on new bed installs. The blade cuts like a sod cutter, it doesn't spin. So it doesn't throw debris.
    Check it out on our website at turfcodirect.com.

Tim Gray
    Turfco Mfg.

3. PSUturf

PSUturf LawnSite Senior Member

If you are looking for a bed edger to make a trench for installing edging try Trenchmaster. I use a Stihl stick edger for keeping the grass edges trimmed.

4. ooo

ooo LawnSite Member

For edging the beds, the EZ trench Bedscaper works great, for walks and sharpening up the edges later on, I just use a Husq walk behind edger.

I also plan on looking into Turf Teq's power edger. Its somewhat like the EZ Trench but self propelled. Anyone used this edger or both of them?

5. justinL110

justinL110 LawnSite Member

The prices on the bed edgers seem to be rather expensive. I figured if I could just buy the bed edger and use that for my sidewalks as well then it would seem better than spending another $200. I just cant see spending $1600 on something you only use in the spring and maybe late summer. How do you charge when edging around flowerbeds, will the machine pay itself off?

6. Willofalltrades

Willofalltrades LawnSite Bronze Member

If you want to edge mulch beds and stuff like that I found the Bed Shaper by little wonder is great.

7. mowpart rep4

mowpart rep4 LawnSite Member

stilh builds a mm55 yard boss it will bed edge, lawn aerator,cultivator,tiller
    check www.stihlusa.com
    WWW.MOWPART.COM has a link to stihl please check mowpart.com
    HTTP:/WWW.MOWPART.COM

8. David Grass

David Grass LawnSite Senior Member

the sidewinder is a self propelled, and can do a blade like little wonder, but also can do a real "bed opener" you can see the difference on www.turfteq.com I LOVE mine, and use the opener 90 percent of the time, the shaper (a la little wonder) 10 percent. Warning can be tippy on hills where you go across and the bed is below the grass. Fortunately for me, the few places I have encountered this, were very small (1 percent of my total customer's areas) and I just did it quickly by hand.

9. camden

camden LawnSite Member
    from SC

Check out the Brown bed edger, you can rent them at Home Depot to try them out.

10. ooo

ooo LawnSite Member

I dont have a bed shaper, but have rented one several times. I charge rental price($50/4hrs), add about $25 for the hassle of going to get it ($75 total). I then figure out man hours and charge $40 per man hour. Even if Im doing 3 or 4 jobs the same day, I charge the machine rental. The edge it makes is much nicer than doing by hand, is quicker, and no waste to remove. There is a little bit of raking to do of the ground up material, but raking it around is much easier than shoveling and hauling away. I am probably going to buy the Turfteq mentioned above.