Bed edger

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ruffcutter24, Feb 4, 2012.

1. ruffcutter24

ruffcutter24 LawnSite Member

What is the best bed edger for price and quality? Does anyone use them? Only commercial properties? Thanks

2. Golden Boy

Golden Boy LawnSite Member

Claw type edger works well for dry locations. Disk type works well when you need to remove the spoils. If the site is dry the claw type edger works great bc you can just blow out the edge to clean it up. Nothing is cheap or easy

3. bls47303

bls47303 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Indiana

Best bed edger ive used by far has been the Blue Bird bed bug and ive used them all.

4. grass-scapes

grass-scapes LawnSite Bronze Member

For the price? Shovel with ash handle.

For quality? Brown Bed Edger

5. chips17

chips17 LawnSite Member
    from PA

why only use them on commercial? thats dumb use it everywhere

6. living Green Property

living Green Property LawnSite Member
    from PA Erie

Bed shapers are amazing they will save your life. We have 2 we have a disk and a claw. The claw is more for redoing an edge. The disk we use for more new installs. If I had to buy one id get the claw. The disk style is from little wonder. It is a tank it takes 3 guys to lift it onto a pickup truck. The claw style is nice for just throwing on to truck and rolling. I can lift the claw style it myself. U can use the claw style to put in new edges it just bogs down a little. And the claw is from bantam I got it new for $1800 ware as I paid $4200 for the little wonder. The little wonder is self-propelled which is nice but it’s hard to maneuver. And it’s hard to train new guys on. Most the time new guys use the disk it looks like a drunk did it. The claw is not self-propelled but it’s so light it’s not a problem. The claw is so much more user friendly and its easier for new guys to get the hand of it. U can use the disk for redoing beds but it leaves a strip of sod that you have to pick up. Which is a pain but the claw grinds it up and no clean up so you can move faster which in the spring every hour counts. Like I said I’d go with the claw style first. If you do almost all new installs id go disk otherwise claw all the way. This spring rent one of each and see which one you like the most.

7. living Green Property

living Green Property LawnSite Member
    from PA Erie

Oh yeah I use it for everything even like 30 feet of flower bed u can do about 60 feet a min. So think of it takes you 10 min to bed edge ware as using a hand edger takes 3 hours. U will be more efficient and beat out the guys who are charging $35 and hour to do it by hand. I charge by the foot for bed edging.

8. ruffcutter24

It looks like the claw attaches to a weed eater? The gears inside the shaft don't strip? What Line trimmer are you running?

9. OneLineAtATime

OneLineAtATime LawnSite Member

Great Thread... I'm getting the popcorn..

I'm in the market for a bed edger as well.

I'm sold on the bed bug by blue bird. No clean up behind it, cuts like butter

10. ruffcutter24

What's the price for that, upkeep? We should try and including pricing and maintance that will help make a decision on quality and price