Bed Edger

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by HighGrass, Sep 23, 2003.

1. HighGrass

HighGrass LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Z5 MA

I had the oppertunity to use a bed edger this year (rented) and made about 200 bucks in 30 minutes time. I even took it home afterwards and did my entire lawn.
    So, I'm wondering if spending 2000 bucks on one is worth it.
    Does anyone out there use one and make it pay for itself?

2. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

We just rent.

3. KenH

KenH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

I purchased the Brown bed edger early summer. Its great. Will definately pay for itself. I use it for new installs and to refresh existing beds. Customers comment on how nice the edge looks. Ill never pick up a shovel again.

I even pick up new work putting in tree rings, etc., as before it was a PITA with a spade.

4. CNYScapes

CNYScapes LawnSite Senior Member

My Brown Bed Edger is one of my most important pieces of equipment I have. Ever tried to Dig through a tree root? These things eat through tree roots like butter. I know $2,000 is alot of dough, but the thing should last you maybe 10 years. Thats only $200 a year. Watch out for those cable tv wires!!:D

5. turkp15

turkp15 LawnSite Member

anyone have a web site for this edger?

6. HighGrass

from Z5 MA

Here ya go. I used one of these...they are pretty cool!

http://www.brownmfgcorp.com/bededger/

7. kris

kris LawnSite Bronze Member
    from nowhere

Is brown the best out there? ... I have never seen one up here.

8. HighGrass

from Z5 MA

I stand corrected. This was not the one I used. I rented one from a rental agency near me and I know the main difference was that the wheels in front castered. This is important because it lets you make better lines around curves. I'll try to get the name of the other brand unless someone else can think of it....

Here is another called EZ-Trencher. This is the one I used. I did one job in the summer that took 20-40 minutes. After rental costs, I put 150 bucks in my pocket. I hope to do more in the spring. I like this unit becasue as you pull it, the wheels that trail (which I guess you would cal the wheels on the front) caster so you can make really tight turns. This worked great for tree rings and stuff. After I got finished with my customers house, I brought it home and did my entire lawn before I returned it to the rental place...all befor noon!

http://www.baylin.com/tools_large/trencher_large_j3000.html :blob1:

9. KenH

KenH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

The rear wheels on the Brown steer as well. You pull the unit backwards as you edge. You can either caster the wheels for curves, or lock them for straight lines. You can also buy countless different rotors depending on you needs.

10. HighGrass

from Z5 MA

I definitely think it's an item I would add at some point. I think I would probably put and aerator or thatcher on the list above it first though.
    :D