Bed Edgers Questions ????

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by JClawncare, Apr 23, 2006.

1. JClawncare

JClawncare LawnSite Member

I need a good edger any suggestions.
    I what gas power - but what is a good HP?
    Is string better than a blade?
    What is a good string or what is a good type of blade?
    What are some things to look for?
    What are the better brands?
    What kind of problems do I need to expect while using it?

2. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

:confused: string?? Do you mean "stick edger". Is there a bed edger using string? :confused:

3. Daner

Daner LawnSite Bronze Member

I herd yesterday about some guy who uses an edget...I think thats a string edger...anyone??

4. Noe41403

Noe41403 LawnSite Member

echo 21.cc. string is better in my oppion is flexable and maunverable, depends if your doing commercial or resdential. if commercial than expect the tip of the line feeder to wear out. and the main problems you'll have is sparks plug jackets wearing out and the carborater going out but other than that it works really well like. If its commercial then it will give you probally a good year with out problems but if its resdential it will last quite a while.

5. NEPSJay

NEPSJay LawnSite Senior Member

its not a "bed edger" your thinking of. a bed edger is something u use to cut in new landscape beds. your thinking of a wheeled edger like a Mclane.

6. Noe41403

Noe41403 LawnSite Member

is there any grants out there you can get to start your business? I work under my father right now he has about 30 yrs in the business but he does residential we have about 90 house's I have my own house's on the side but i want to go commercial. what can I do If I dont have the money to do it on my own?

7. JClawncare

JClawncare LawnSite Member

yes I meant bed edger with a gas engine and metal blade and so fourth. I had heard of a bed edger that use string. who does make a good bed edger? sorry about the confusion.

8. NCSERVICE

NCSERVICE LawnSite Member

I rent bed edgers and seems like they always have the brown manufacturing with a 9 hp honda, they always start first pull and never seem to have any problems, occasional belts. i have wanted to try a bed master with the rear pivoting wheels but i like the sturdiness of the brown.

9. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

Just bought my trench master (Brown mfg.) with the 8.0 Honda two weeks ago. It was one of those "might as well buy it, tired of renting them" kind of purchases. So far, so good. I also bought the "redefining" bit as well. Now I can redefine beds at existing accounts as well as create new ones on new landscapes. :)