Bed edgers?

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by nobagger, Sep 18, 2005.

1. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

Those of you who have this luxury,lol what kind are worth a crap and how do they perform?

2. Gilla Gorilla

Gilla Gorilla LawnSite Senior Member

I have the Brown bed edger and love it. The only thing that I am going to change is to a deeper cutting bit. The ones that come stock only cut down 3 inches and that does not leave you room to put much mulch down into the edge at all. I am going to get the 4 inch bit but might just get the 5 inch bit and keep it set around 4 inches for most new edges being cut.

I also bought a bit for trenching to install the 4 inch black drainage pipe and it worked great, just make sure that you get the bit that trenches 6 inches deep and not 4 inches. 4 inches is just not deep enough for drainage pipe.

There are alot of different bits you can get for this edger so it is something that you should look into.

3. JKOOPERS

JKOOPERS LawnSite Bronze Member

the brown bed edger works great i just wish it was self propelled to go from one building to another . the machine will break any man down . heres a pic of some edging i did with this machine in march .

DSCN0277.JPG

4. MowingisMaddness

MowingisMaddness LawnSite Senior Member

So you mean my guys will complain at the end of the day about having to use it? I really like the idea of being able to multitask with this machine. However in my experince if at the end of the day the guys don't like using it, it wont be a good machine for my business:cry:.

How much do the different blades cost? Are they available online?

thanks, aj

5. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I always thought that it was self-propelled.

Well, scratch that off my list of wants

6. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

7. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

I just used the Sidewinder from Turf Teq the other day. Talk about a machine....wow! 13 HP, self propelled, and several edging options. We opened up about 400' of new edges in rocky, clay soil in about 10-15 minutes. It's on the list for spring along with their Power Rake.:D

8. MowingisMaddness

MowingisMaddness LawnSite Senior Member

I had found their webpage but, asked about pricing, specifically pricing on different blades. I sure couldn't find anything like that on their page, only general specs;) .

impactlandscaping,

Can you put different blades on the Sidewinder from Turf Teq. Like for burying irrigation pipe? I know the brown edger has many blade options.

9. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

I wasn't talking to you.... ;)

:)

10. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

Sure can, but be prepared to pay more for this machine than the rest. I priced a new Brown at Expo w/9hp engine for around 2300.00. The Turf Teq I think is around 4K. The swingout arm feature is nice for neat, tight tree rings. The self propel is controlled by squeezing the hand lever, and ground speed is adjustable. The only thing I noticed was on a slight incline, the machine wanted to dip to the right. I would prefer the cutting side to be on the left rather than the right. All in all, it was still easy to see where you were cutting and keep the machine in a straight line.