1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Bed edgers

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by tthomass, Dec 31, 2006.

1. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

I've seen them but never used one........always an edging shovel. What opinions do ya'll have on them? Whats the cost of one of these modern marvels?
  2. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

I bought my Bed Edger with the 8hp Honda this spring for $2399.00. I don't use it a whole lot but it's been a true blessing having it whenever I needed it instead of renting. Compared to hand edging and digging, the first time you use one you'll wonder why you didn't use it sooner. Most all rental dealerships have one or two on hand. I usually charge about $1 per foot and never had a complaint.payup
  3. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

What exactly are they used for - doing plastic or metal edging, laying block edging, no edging/bring mulch right up to lawn? I haven't ever used one. I always start digging or have already had a bed started. Most of my stuff is all islands anyway.
  4. RedMax Man

RedMax Man LawnSite Platinum Member

Powered bed edgers do the same things as handtool edgers but do a much cleaner job, are able to cut at different angles and can cut an edge much faster than doing it by hand. I use a Little Wonder walkbehind edger for bed edging and curb-sidewalk edging. They are great tool and save alot of labor. There are many brands of edger that come in all different sizes and price ranges. Little Wonder makes a nice edger that is specifically designed for edging beds for mulch. Its called the Bed Edger.
  5. Stuttering Stan

Stuttering Stan LawnSite Bronze Member

I bought a Brown edger last spring. Although I have only used it a few times, it is an invaluable tool for dressing edges. It's a tool that I don't use everyday but is nice when i need it.
  6. lwcmattlifter

lwcmattlifter LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

I really like mine, it's a huge time saver especially when your trying to edge hard dry clay. If you want to try one out let me know, it's an older model with the fixed rear wheels but it gets the job done.
  7. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

Are they more for making new edges? What about existing edges........thinking if it would be hard to follow and existing edge and keep it the same vs being off here and there by a few inches messing up a nice edge.

How deep of an edge does it cut?

I'm just thinking ahead for spring...........search around and see if I can find one at a decent price. I don't mind edging but unfortunitly my shoulder does.

SILVERSTREAK INC LawnSite Senior Member

by far the best tool ive ever bought, same as said by lawn specialties, you'll wonder why you diddnt do it sooner, it does a super fast, clean, beautiful edge once you get the hang of it, totally uniform, all my customers the first time i brought the machine to their beds complimented on how nice and deep it is....(for the first few weeks till we get a good rain and the mulch washes into it) deep edges like to hold water though.

only thing is always bring a shovel anyhow, and stay away from where you see cable or electrical lines coming close to houses or buildings, the cable company never likes to bury them deep and ive fixed at least 20 in the last 5 years ive had the machine, now i stay 5 feet away in both driections when i see a cable box and edge that by hand.

another neat thing is all the attachments, i bought a 3" auger which will bury 3" (4" if you kick it into the hole) black courrigated drain pipe 10-12" deep, when things get slow i offer to run gutter drains or sump pump drains too to some of my resi coustomers for 14 bucks a foor.

i also bought a stump grinder attachment, works great on little stumps you need to just get below the surface, works best with green wood, as it dosent vibrate so bad.....

anyhow very versatile machine, you could become one of those dog fence layers too if landscape competition gets too crazy!!

worth the 2000 i paid (cash) anyday

SILVERSTREAK INC LawnSite Senior Member

p.s before when id have to figure in half a day for edging on a house with one guy, plus getting rid of the edgings, the edger rototills it and throws it up into the bed, and when you get good and have a good aim with the machine, you can barely shave the edge and there will be hardly any dirt thrown into the bed. now i can do a normal house (beds around the whole house w/6 yards of mulch), by myself in half a day if i wanted to

you can get different bits for the brown bededger (what i have) some will do a 3" deep edge and the other will do a 4 or 5 inch edge, but unless you get the giant motor, i found the 4" bit is a little big and overkill for the 8hp honda, especially when things get muddy...............also its easy as pie to edge a new bed, and its also easy to follow along an existing bed as long as the old edge isnt too deep, then the one wheel will run into the deep edge and youll end up dragging the thing while holding it up in the air cause the chassis will ground out on the bed, but if you have a deep edge already whats the sense of re-edging? just weedwack edge it and call it a day....

it might be a little hard to understand in words, the only way to find out is to test one out for yourself!

10. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

you are not refering to the one he is asking about. You are talking about a walk behind edger for curbs, and sidewalks.

what he is asking about is a "bed" edger... totally different machine.

the typical bed edger cuts an edge about 5-6" deep. it is straight down on the lawn side, then angles up into the bed. It removes quite a bit of material.

The edge looks like a check mark.

you can also get stupm grinder baldes, and trenching baldes for these units.

THe cheap ones start at about $1500.00
    a decent one runs about $2400.00.