1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Bed edgers

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by DowntoEarthLLC, Mar 30, 2004.

1. DowntoEarthLLC

DowntoEarthLLC LawnSite Member
    from VA

Ok, so some people say they are not worth the time, others lovem. Are the ones that don't use them just looking to be cheaper and like diging with a shovel?

How good are these things really?

I've never used one personally... but I'm getting tired of digging with my back...

Work smarter not harder, right?

Which brands do you guys like best?

They don't cut through roots to well do they?

I love this place
  2. WeatherMan

WeatherMan LawnSite Senior Member

Why dont you rent one to see how you like it before you buy it
  3. Harry0

Harry0 LawnSite Member
    from NJ

I bought a EZtrench Bedscaper in the fall and am selling it now. In the long run IMO they do not save any time or labor. In fact it takes longer and is more labor intensive than a stick edger and a spade. I am talking about reedging beds in the spring. The only time I think they would be useful is for new jobs or creating beds in existing turf, by using round-up. I wanted It for the spring edge before mulching. When I used the demo it was on a new job and I loved it. But by the time you run the machine over an existing bed, rake the pulverized grass clumps(which are actually lots of little turf plugs being thrown all over the bed)and go back and spray round up or manually pull the small clumps of grass, you are not saving time or your back. Not to mention the shallow irrigation lines or lighting wires you destroy. This is one machine i could have done without-Harry
  4. matthew horner

matthew horner LawnSite Senior Member

What type are you selling? I'm going to need one soon, PM me if you are selling it soon. Thanks.
  5. DowntoEarthLLC

DowntoEarthLLC LawnSite Member
    from VA

thats what I'm talking about... you sound like alot of guys that I know who have used the machine. I have heard more negatives than positives.

Yes, I know about renting tools.
  6. lx665

lx665 LawnSite Member

I just bought a Brown Bed Edgers and love it. I've used it on new and redifining bed and it's a huge time saver. I should of bought it sooner.

7. KenH

KenH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

The Brown bed edger I purchased last season is definately a time and labor saver. Anything it touches it pulverizes into a fine powder which is easily raked back into the beds. I can edge beds as fast as I can walk backwards. My only complaint is the problem cutting irrigation/fence lines.

For new installs, they cant be beat.
  8. jalawn

jalawn LawnSite Member

I just picked up a new 'Bed Shaper' this year. That thing is great! I rented an easy trencher last year, and that thing was pure crap! No comparison. The Bed Shaper was a bit more money, but it is so easy to use, and does a great job.
  9. Turftiger1979

Turftiger1979 LawnSite Member

Definately brown bed shaper all the way. All you have to do is go rake lil of the debri back, which is already ground up. It cuts a nice deep line, which is also adjustable. You can also get trencher blades, for laying dog fence, piping, etc. Compared to manual labor...well...theres nothing that compares.
  10. Harry0

Harry0 LawnSite Member
    from NJ

To you guys with a brown edger: Do you have grass growing in your beds weeks after edging? Does the brown have any major differences then the EZ trench bedscaper? I know the majority of people love bed edgers so I wonder if I am missing somthing. My crew dosen't like using it either, so its not just me. Beleive me I am always looking to "work smarter".Thanks Harry